Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax ME Problem

Hello everyone.

Its my first post around here.

I have a Pentax Super ME which has always worked fine and is in great condition. The problem I am having has manifested itself over the last few films.
The advance lever has been playing up but only towards the end of a roll of film.
It doesn't wind on smoothly and seems to stick causing the last frames to overlap.
Any idea's what this problem may be?
The only thing I can think of that may of caused this (well I'm sure it has) was last week I used cellotape to hold a square filter over the lens. Some of the tape went over the winder and when I advanced the film the winder was being held back by the tape causing it to pull against the lever..
Ever since it hasn't wound on properly after about the 26th frame (on a roll of 36)

I got a quote form a local repair shop which wouldn't really be worth doing as it would be cheaper to pick up another camera on ebay. So my second question is, if this cameras problem is going to stay around what would be a good camera to upgrade too or shall I stick with the ME?

Thanks

James

07-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A camera that old is probably way beyond due for a good clean, oil and seal job, and if I understand what you are describing, the tape would have to get inside the camera to cause much trouble. I'm thinking it's the same thing with my old ME Supers, all need to be cleaned, oiled and seals replaced. A couple started to have the same or similar problem, everything is 30-40 years old and gummed up inside, the original lubrication has thickened and gotten gummy, it's time to clean and oil it, basically start over.

I looked up some info a while back and started trying to do this myself, I have the ability, optical training (binocular and telescope repair) and loads of experience with small parts, but since then work has slowed way down and I can't afford the parts and supplies. So it has to wait a while. Maybe one day work will pick up. If the economy ever gets a little better...fat chance right now...

Unless some tape got inside the camera body, I doubt it would affect more than the film advance lever. It might make it sticky, but the film should still advance. I may be wrong, but it sounds like it needs some standard maintenance after 40 years or so of use. Clean, lube and seals is the most common camera repair issue, and more maintenance than repair really.

As far as your second question, I'm not sure, I've use mostly Pentax 35mm cameras, KX, K 1000, ME and ME Super and one A 3000. Any would be excellent, and you can find used ME Supers all over any of the online auctions at fairly decent prices, but chances are you will find it too needw the same clean, oil and seal job. They're all near 40 years old...If you want to stay with Pentax, try to look for a newer one. I fyou want to try other 35mm brands, I don't have a clue, the only other one I ever used other than 1960's Kodaks and Yashicas, was a Minolta SRT 101. Great camera, but older than the ME Super.

Last edited by Paleo Pete; 07-26-2011 at 10:03 AM.
07-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 sounds like it's due for a CLA (clean lube adjust)

Over here most people use Eric Home who does excellent work for very reasonable prices, but there is likely an Eric type somewhere in UK who would be more convenient for you (isn't there a UK Pentax forum separate from this one? It may be a good place to check for more local service techs

Edit - I will point out that in the longer term the proper CLA is cheaper than just replacing as any old body you buy will likely suffer the same fate sooner rather than later, whereas a properly CLA'd camera will not only function better for longer the metering will also be more accurate as adjusting the meter is part of a good CLA
07-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I shall look in to getting it serviced; although it does seem pretty clean and works 100% fine until the later ends of the roll.

Just to clarify, the tape did not go into the camera the problem it caused is the same as if I held the winder down as I advanced the film which would cause strain on the film & winder.

Thanks