Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #31
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A 20" by 30" image at 72ppi, captured in the camera, is exactly the same as a 5" by 7.5" image at 288ppi.

Just do the math. (We're simply dividing and multiplying by 4.)

It's irrelevant whether you're using it for printing or web viewing--that's another topic regarding the resolution you need for each task.

The main point is, image SIZE and RESOLUTION are inexorably linked, ALWAYS:

A 1" by 1" image at 2400ppi will be converted...with no loss in quality at all...to an 8" by 8" image at 300ppi.

Again, do the math. And to summarize:

It doesn't matter what ppi your camera captures the images at--it's the image SIZE that matters.

07-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #32
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by icejam Quote
I do not know what the issue might be here but my K-r produces 300dpi photos even at 2MP + one star setting.
Software upgrade? Just a guess.
Check the image SIZES.
07-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
A 20" by 30" image at 72ppi, captured in the camera, is exactly the same as a 5" by 7.5" image at 288ppi.

Just do the math. (We're simply dividing and multiplying by 4.)

It's irrelevant whether you're using it for printing or web viewing--that's another topic regarding the resolution you need for each task.

The main point is, image SIZE and RESOLUTION are inexorably linked, ALWAYS:

A 1" by 1" image at 2400ppi will be converted...with no loss in quality at all...to an 8" by 8" image at 300ppi.

Again, do the math. And to summarize:

It doesn't matter what ppi your camera captures the images at--it's the image SIZE that matters.
Precisely, and I said this in a different way in my first post:

"A camera, any camera, has only so many pixels it can record. Change of resolution does not change this. So if your camera produces, say, 3264 x 2448 pixels this will remain the same at 72 pixels/inch or 300 pixels/inch the only thing that changes is the dimension of the image"

Greetings
07-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Precisely, and I said this in a different way in my first post:

"A camera, any camera, has only so many pixels it can record. Change of resolution does not change this. So if your camera produces, say, 3264 x 2448 pixels this will remain the same at 72 pixels/inch or 300 pixels/inch the only thing that changes is the dimension of the image"
I'd prefer:
the only thing that changes is the dimension of the image when used in something that cares about the resolution
The whole point is that the only thing most of us do that cares is print, and even there the software can be made to override the resolution.

BTW is there any sign of the OP or have they crept away?

07-29-2011, 04:50 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I'd prefer:
the only thing that changes is the dimension of the image when used in something that cares about the resolution
The whole point is that the only thing most of us do that cares is print, and even there the software can be made to override the resolution.

BTW is there any sign of the OP or have they crept away?
I am still watching...it is all going over my head I see all of them mention 'it only matters only when it comes to print' I personally think at some point of time atleast one or the other may go for print definitely it will not just be on my computer screen - say you contribute your pic to some magazine etc.,

Having said that, I also noticed one image opened in lightroom and when went into image resize it showed 300 ppi whilst the same showed 96 ppi in adobe elements. So that was coming in line with the discussion here and giving a feeling of relief that all is okay!!!

So yes, I am very much here and just following the conversation as the knowledge sharing is happening here so i dont want to interfere and kidnap the conversation or say something that will drive people away
07-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
..it is all going over my head
Keep at it, think it through, take your calculator, make experiments, try different settings and compare and lastly read up on it (the net is full of the subject) and one day it will no longer be over your head but inside you head. Then it will give you a big smile.

Greetings
07-30-2011, 02:46 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Keep at it, think it through, take your calculator, make experiments, try different settings and compare and lastly read up on it (the net is full of the subject) and one day it will no longer be over your head but inside you head. Then it will give you a big smile.

Greetings
Sure will do, thanks advice taken
07-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
I am still watching...it is all going over my head
Try this:

The DPI number stored in the Exif has no relevance whatsoever. That field only has meaning for images created by scanners, as it allows you to figure out how big the original image was.

DPI is literally dots per inch. If you take an image that is X pixels (dots) wide and print it on paper Y pixels wide, then the resolution is X/Y DPI, period, end of story. The number stored in the Exif has no bearing on the matter, so ignore it.