Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
recomposing on a manual lens

i have k-x and thinking of getting a manual lens the pentax 50mm f2. now k-x cant move the AF points so how do i recompose my shots (rule of thirds) and still keep the focus where i want it?

07-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're using a manual lens, the AF points won't matter. Set the camera to Manual focus if you trust your skill and just focus (you should still get the AF beep), recompose, and shoot. Note also that these lenses will only work in M mode unless it is an A type lens.

07-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
ya its an A type. so my initial center focus will still be sharp once i recompose? just dont go too far from my initial focus? im new to this so if you guys have any tricks about manual lenses (older pentax lenses) and how to keep it sharp after recomposing kindly enlighten me. ty.
07-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard the Manual Focus express.

There are a good number of threads here on manual focus lenses, tricks, ideas, suggestions,etc.

just poke around with the search feature. Many are on the Pentax SLR Lens Discussion - PentaxForums.com forum here.

Good Luck.

07-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by varyabol Quote
ya its an A type. so my initial center focus will still be sharp once i recompose? just dont go too far from my initial focus? im new to this so if you guys have any tricks about manual lenses (older pentax lenses) and how to keep it sharp after recomposing kindly enlighten me. ty.
Unless you move forward or backward, yes, it should still be in reasonable focus. It really depends on How you move the camera to recompose and how far away you are and your aperture and..... Note that if anything in your composition is closer or further away from your original focal point, the focus of That object (or scene) will change some also but at 50mm unless were talking a 16 inch distance, that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

07-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah ok there are workarounds but what I want to know is whether there are any good technical reasons why it's not possible to select a non-center focus point and use catch-in-focus with manual lenses. If not, I'd sure like a firmware update on that and I'll be really irritated if that's not fixed in the K-5 successor.
07-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Yeah ok there are workarounds but what I want to know is whether there are any good technical reasons why it's not possible to select a non-center focus point and use catch-in-focus with manual lenses. If not, I'd sure like a firmware update on that and I'll be really irritated if that's not fixed in the K-5 successor.
The AF lenses have the ability to send a lot more information to the camera. It may be the lack of distance information.

Or Pentax doesn't think it's necessary.

07-28-2011, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you may also wish to consider the following.

You have a 10-12 mp camera so why worry about recomposing.

just center your shot on the subject that requires critical focus and crop after the fact for the rule of thirds.
07-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
good idea.

i try to spend less time on PP and get it right or close to it the first time.

Last edited by varyabol; 07-28-2011 at 03:20 PM.
07-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

just center your shot on the subject that requires critical focus and crop after the fact for the rule of thirds.
Heresy to those (and I admire them) who strive to compose while shooting but I do it.
That tactic argues for shooting a bit wider than you might otherwise to leave room for the crop.
07-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by varyabol Quote
good idea.

i try to spend less time on PP and get it right or close to it the first time.
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Heresy to those (and I admire them) who strive to compose while shooting but I do it.
That tactic argues for shooting a bit wider than you might otherwise to leave room for the crop.
you know, I too am one for getting it as close as possible with the shot, but for those uncomfortable with manual focus at the start, it is not that bad an idea.

But having said that, I don't understand the problem perhaps in the frist place, because this issue has been around for as long as there have been SLRs. the focus point is never where you want it, and this has not changed with the introduction of autofocus. It is really that people want the camera to do everything for them, including think. if the af points were where we want them, then the cameras would not have a manual focus mode and there would be no such thing as AF lock.

but perhaps I am too harsh.

I personally focus on the center when shooting action with MF and crop, because you don;t have time with moving subjects to recompose. with stationary subjects, I will be much more methodical, and recompose fter focusing at what I want.
07-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is really that people want the camera to do everything for them, including think.

but perhaps I am too harsh.
I think so ;~) I do like CIF with manual lenses but I want the camera to focus on what I want it to focus on--not assume it's in the center.
07-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
Forum Member

If the scene is static I focus with live view on high magnification. There's something oddly relaxing about twisting dials and watching it go in and out of focus in such rich detail.
07-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

There are times that you don't want to use center focus and recompose. Remember the folks who said they don't want uncle joe to take their pictures because he always make them look short in the picture.
07-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My priorities (most- to least-important):

1) GET THE DAMN PICTURE!
2) Don't get badly injured.
3) Make a clean getaway.
4) Expose picture properly.
5) Compose picture nicely.

I used to shoot TLRs (still have a few). And MF+ boxes and folders that had rudimentary VF's at best; or maybe sportsfinders (wire frames to peer through); or maybe I just pointed and hoped. With those, guess-exposure and zone-focus ruled. Composition was something that happened in the darkroom.

A perfect composition is nice-to-have but it can always be fixed in PP. I often generate multiple versions of a picture: different crops, different stories. Any captured picture is only fodder for the shooping machine. Too often, if you're hung-up on perfect compositions, the picture will escape, and laugh at you as it heads over the horizon.

Manual lenses: I use spot or center-weighted focusing with CIF. I center the subject and shoot. Then I crop. With 14.6mpx images, there's a lot of area available for cropping. An old artist and pioneering newsletter editor I knew swore that scissors and a paste pot were his best tools. Keep that in mind.