Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #1

Pentax full frame camera?

I tried to read some of the specs but I didnt find anything I was looking for. Wondering if Pentax has a FULL FRAME DSLR on the market right now?
Thanks

07-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not at the moment. You may find one in a couple of years. In the meantime, you've only got APS-C and MF cameras to choose from...
07-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
Forum Member

I think everyone is waiting for one,

But with the DA lens which I dont thick is a Full Frame sized Lens, 35 x 24mm( I could be wrong ) I dont see one in the near future.

Although with the Ricoh buy out I'm expecting a damb Big improvement,

Full Frame Might Happen.
07-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
are there any major benefits to using a full frame digital SLR anyway ?

07-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bobva Quote
I think everyone is waiting for one,

But with the DA lens which I dont thick is a Full Frame sized Lens, 35 x 24mm( I could be wrong ) I dont see one in the near future.

Although with the Ricoh buy out I'm expecting a damb Big improvement,

Full Frame Might Happen.
Some will work some won't. The DA40 for instance is reported to actually be a full frame lens. Some have said that the DA*200 is the same (optical) lens as the FA*200 repackaged. Most of them however, will leave you with a nice black circle on a full frame (such as film) camera. The current lineup of lenses is what has me convinced that Pentax never intended to release a full frame dslr. We now know Hoya probably had no intention of it. We'll see what Ricoh does with the brand.

I for one, couldn't care less but I do realize there are those who do.

07-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crystax Quote
Wondering if Pentax has a FULL FRAME DSLR on the market right now?
Now? No. In the future? Maybe. And some folks mod their Nikon dSLRs by replacing the mount with a PK. What pervs!

Lots of argument here. The main advantages are thinner DOF, and wider wides. When I put a 16mm or 21mm lens on my K1000 or ZX-M, they are WIDE! But modern UWA zooms kinda kill that advantage. And there are other, cheaper ways to get thin DOF. My K50/1.2 (US$250) cost much less than an FF dSLR (US$3K-10K).

Current FF dSLRs are very well-built, with price tags to match. Will that change? Maybe. Maybe if Ricoh-Pentax releases an FF GXR mount module...
07-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
Forum Member

RioRico

And some folks mod their nikon DSLRs by replacing the mount with a PK. What Pervs.

Im sorry ................. Layman's terms please

07-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Ouch, even the thread title is like a stab to the heart.

Please please, show some mercy
07-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The biggest advantage to FF is that the perspective of the lenses designed for the FF film format remain the same. With all the older lenses from film cameras around, it makes availability better, especially for wide angle lenses.
With a smaller sensor, the older lenses can be used, but it only covers the center part of the old FF image, so that a 35mm "wide angle" lens acts like a 50mm standard lens. If you want really wide angle lenses, you need to use new ones made for the smaller sensors for best results.
However, the APS smaller sensor in the K-5 and Nikon D7000 gives great results with lenses made for that size sensor, and darn good results with the older lenses.
If you aren't worried about using older lenses, don't worry about "full frame" - if the lens range you want is available for that camera. You don't need a ton of lenses anyway. I've collected a bunch over the years, but use the same 2 or 3 almost all the time.
07-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
Forum Member

Myself personally I think full frame DSLR suck. they are frickin huge. At least the ones I've seen and held, In fact I hate my K200d size wise compared to my KX Film camera.
07-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

RioRico

And some folks mod their nikon DSLRs by replacing the mount with a PK. What Pervs.

Im sorry ................. Layman's terms please
glossary (in alphabetical order):

dSLRs: digital single-lens-reflex cameras
folks: people, mostly
mod: modify / alter
mount: what the lens fits onto
Nikon: a camera brand
pervs: perverts (I'm joking!)
PK: Pentax K-mount, what our Pentax dSLRs have

Translation: Some owners of Nikon (or even Canon) full-frame (FF) cameras (older ones, usually) will modify the hardware by removing the native mount (the one that's built into the camera) and replacing it with a Pentax K-mount piece. That PK mount piece might be salvaged from a wrecked old Pentax camera.

Why do this? The answer has to do with REGISTER or flange-focal distance, the distance from the lens mount to the frame (film or sensor). Register for Canon EOS is 44mm; for Pentax it's 45.46mm; for Nikon it's 46.5mm. Lenses are built with camera bodies of the same register. Longer-register lenses can fit onto shorter-register bodies AND CAN FOCUS TO INFINITY. Shorter-register lenses on longer-register bodies CANNOT focus to infinity. So I can cut a Nikon lens a little bit, and use it on my Pentax. And Canon bodies can use almost any Pentax or Nikon lenses. But Pentax bodies can't use Canon lenses, and Nikon can't use either Canon or Pentax lenses.

Canon owners who mod their bods usually do so for convenience; dedicate an old bod for fine Pentax glass, eh? For Nikon owners, it's more critical -- it's the ONLY way they can use Pentax lenses, and still have infinity focus. Well, there *is* another way, using optical adapters that change the focal length and kill image quality. Yuck.

So if you have an old extra Nikon FF dSLR and you want to use great Pentax Takumar glass on it, you do a little body-chopping. I have some nice Nikon lenses that I got cheap, so I do it the other way around: I mod the lenses. Takes about 5 minutes per lens. No big deal. Oops, someone emailed asking how to do that -- I'd better reply soon.
07-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Rio: Or you could just point them to the Wiki Dictionary - The Pentax Wiki
07-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Rio: Or you could just point them to the Wiki Dictionary - The Pentax Wiki
That NEEDS to be a sticky
07-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

That NEEDS to be a sticky
Its been suggested - as well as adding it as a Menu option up top. Not sure where its at though...
07-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Its been suggested - as well as adding it as a Menu option up top. Not sure where its at though...
I'll tell one thing its in my bookmarks now.

Thank you