Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #1

Help Please: Vivitar 70-210 M/SR and My K-R

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum to please forgive me if this is a redundant thread. I tried searhing before posting but didnt have much luck.

I am working with a newbie learning curve so I may be asking for some basic questions, I apologize in advance if that is the case.

I purchased a used Vivitar Series 1 70-210 lens from a reseller on Amazon. My understanding was that it fit the K mount needed for the k-r dslr I own. It arived today and much to my dismay I found that it does not fit the mount. The lens displays "M/SR", which I have come to understand (I think) makes it a Minolta mount. The mount is slightly shorter in diameter and has a round spring pin.

Is there an adapter or some other means of easily (I know you're laughing by now fitting it to my k-r?

The full text around the front of the lens reads "Vivitar Series1 70-210mm 1:35 Macro Focusing Auto Zoom No. 22401933 67mm".

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge,
Thank you,

James

07-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey James,
no good, as far as I know you can not modify this old Minolta mount into K.
Can you send it back?
It is very good lens, you need to get or "U" ( M42 screw Universal) will work with adaptor in Av,
or "P/K" ( in my case it needs modification for DSLR use, small trim , haven't done it yet , it is OK with 35mm film bodies) in M with stop-down metering.
welcome and kind regards
jack
07-30-2011, 05:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, it's a great lens.
Yes, you are screwed.
No, it can't be used on Pentax.
No, it can't even be adapted.
And I've chopped a few lenses.

If it was represented to you as being for Pentax, get your money back. If it wasn't, you're screwed. I find this classic lens to be commonly available in M42 screwmount (adaptation is trivial), not so common in PK mount (a slight trim is needed). In other mounts, forget it -- even those that *could* be adapted (Nikon N/AI, Olympus OM, Yashica C/Y) aren't worth the trouble, and the impossible mounts (Canon FD, Minolta M/SR or M/MD, Konica K/AR) are just... impossible.

Before buying a used lens, be SURE you know the mount; and hold the seller responsible for any mis-statements.
07-30-2011, 06:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the prompt replies. I have contacted the seller regarding a return. It was definitely represented as a Pentax lens:

Vivitar Series 1 - Zoom lens - 28 mm - 210 mm - f/4.2-6.5 - Pentax KI just noticed that the mm are wrong, I wonder if she sent me the wrong lens. Hmm... I will see what she says.

Thank you again everyone. I am sure I will be around. ;-)

07-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yes they did send you the wrong lens but they did send you much much much better lens than what you have ordered.
Send it back and cancel the order, all newish Vivitar 1 lenses are rubbish!
You are in US, so there is one exception, Samyang - absolute marvel ( I have 85mm F1.4 P-KA under Samyang original name - sold in Australia , superb! ). I believe that Samyang is sold in US under different brands, Vivitar or Vivitar 1 is one of them.
07-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

When you look for lenses, this website is a must have.

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

Has descriptions and pictures of most of the common bayonet mounts, including Pentax. A bit outdated, I don' thin it has the newer auto mounts, but the only difference is they have contact pins so that shouldn't be a big issue.

As far as the lens you bought, it sounds like either misrepresented or wrong lens, send it back and get either a refund or the right one.