Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2011, 12:41 PM   #1

pentax 18-55 lense

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

IS TH 18-55 PENTAX LENS AN AUTO FOCUS LENSE AND IS THIS GOOD LENSE FOR UP CLOSE FOR CAR SHOWS ETC FOR MY K10D AS AND ENTRY LEVEL LENSE TO GET USED TO MY NEW CAMERA OR SHOULD I PICK UP A DIFFERENT ONE?

THANKS
JOHN

07-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #2

Hi, I have the 18-55mm yes it is an auto focus lense, I use a k7, and the 18-55 is the only lens I have so far, but I think you will find that it is very versatile in the quality it produces. try practicing on cars before you go to the show, that way then you will have an idea of what you will be doing..ect
07-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 18 to 55mm is a good basic starter lens. Start using it to get a good feel for what it can do. It will handle basic close focus needs like details of cars at car shows. You can look into what you are using the camera for and look at some of the other lens that either are wider angle or more telephoto in length, depending on what you feel you needs to get the images you are looking to get. Try looking at getting some prime (fixed focal length lenses) for doing either indoor photograghy without flash or higher quality images then ones taken with a zoom lens. Just get out and have fun experimenting with your new camera!!
07-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hey thanks also wondering where i would buy covers for my old 35mm pentax cameras like the white that came with my k10d that i can put on while the lenses are off of them

thanks

07-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Check out our lens database for more info on this lens: Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Comprehensive Database

Here is the genuine Pentax snap-on cap that's compatible with all 49mm thread lenses (the most common width for Pentax lenses): Pentax 49mm Snap-On Lens Cap 31491 B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Forum Member

I think mrpromod is looking for a body cap
07-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yes that would be what i am looking for i guess i need to use the correct wording when i ask a question i am sort of new/getting back into the camera scene

thanks

07-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
Forum Member

I like this one

BODY CAP FOR PENTAX K BAYONET MOUNT CAMERAS on eBay!
07-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're happy to shoot at f/8, the the kit lens will not fail to impress you.
08-02-2011, 03:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My recommendation would be to take your camera and kit lens to a car show or two and find out how/if the kit lens limits your photography. The quality is good although not spectacular.

My guess is that you will want to be wider than 18mm and something like a sigma 10-20, tamron 10-24 or pentax 12-24 would be perfect. But those lenses also cost 400-600 dollars so it's a big investment and you should be sure that the kit lens isn't capable of your needs.
08-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mrpromod Quote
IS TH 18-55 PENTAX LENS AN AUTO FOCUS LENSE AND IS THIS GOOD LENSE FOR UP CLOSE FOR CAR SHOWS ETC FOR MY K10D AS AND ENTRY LEVEL LENSE TO GET USED TO MY NEW CAMERA OR SHOULD I PICK UP A DIFFERENT ONE?

THANKS
JOHN
Here's the Kit Lens Thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/45425-kit-lens-club.html - lots and lots of great "starter" lens images...

I've got 2 copies and both very good. The Kit Lens can focus very very close plus allows you to take photos in tight places. As Ash mentioned above, it seems f8 - f11 is the magical zone, but that doesn't mean you cannot use the lens at wider apertures with good results. The 18 - 55 range should fill just about all your needs and your next purchase will probably be a longer zoom...
08-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I would think the 18-55 is a very good range for car shows, and it's a good lens to start out with. There are several versions of this lens; I have the first-generation design, and find the performance on my 6mp and 10mp cameras is very good, particularly at moderate apertures. Some of the second-generation (II, DA-L,WR) copies may be even better.

Paul
08-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a good lens but not a great one and you cannot get that close to the subject. If money permits then yes definitely get an upgrade but if money is a problem then the 18-55 will do just fine.
08-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
It's a good lens but not a great one and you cannot get that close to the subject.
Good but not great: TRUE.
Can't close on subject: FALSE.

Well, it depends on the subject. Is 25cm / 10in close enough?
No, it's not quite as close as a DA10-17 fisheye: 14cm / 5.5in.
No, it's not quite as close as a 90mm macro lens: 9cm / 3.5in.
But it's rather closer than almost anything but a close-up lens.