Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Weird Corrupted Files on Memory Card

Last week I took a couple pictures from my house, checked them on my computer, and they weren't there. I tried it again and saw the pictures on the camera lcd, but again they wouldn't show up on my computer. I tried another sd card and it worked. So today I finally looked into it more, and I found 3 corrupt files in one folder of pictures taken July 13 totaling 4 gb. The faulty card is a Centon 16gb by the way. My K-x said there was plenty of free space on the card, but I guess because of the huge corrupted files, it couldn't write anything. Either they weren't corrupted the first time I viewed them or I just didn't notice. So I'm wondering how they got corrupted. Is it a problem with the memory card, my camera or my card reader? Or maybe my computer corrupted them somehow the first time I viewed them?
The first corrupt file is IMGP2570.DNG and it's 1.14 GB.
The second corrupt file is MGP2571D.NG and it's 3.32 GB.
The 3rd corrupt file is u#ss$dΣ.r and it's 0 bytes.

Thanks for your help.

07-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is most likely a faulty card. Discard it and get a good quality card.

The Sandisk cards can be recommended.
08-01-2011, 03:56 AM   #3

To pull up anything on the card you should get rescuePRO - I think it's a free download - good to have anyway, even if you don't care about the photos on the possibly damaged card. hth
08-01-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Did you ever remove the card while it was being written to? Try formatting it and see if there are any further problems. If so, then it's likely defective.

08-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Did you ever remove the card while it was being written to? Try formatting it and see if there are any further problems. If so, then it's likely defective.
Sometimes when I click 'safely remove media' it says device cannot be stopped right now. Since I don't know what else to do I remove it anyway.
08-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
Sometimes when I click 'safely remove media' ..
Format it in the camera, not the computer.
08-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Sometimes when I click 'safely remove media' it says device cannot be stopped right now. Since I don't know what else to do I remove it anyway.
That is because the system is still using it, close all of the apps that you may be viewing the media in, something is accessing it, and you can damage the card.

And listen to Special K, always format in the camera!
08-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Format it in the camera, not the computer.
I probably don't format my cards often enough.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
That is because the system is still using it, close all of the apps that you may be viewing the media in, something is accessing it, and you can damage the card.

And listen to Special K, always format in the camera!
Even after I close everything, it still says device is in use when I try to remove it. What should I do then?

08-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Even after I close everything, it still says device is in use when I try to remove it. What should I do then?
What makes you think you need to keep reformating your cards?

WRT your second point, even a windows explorer window open on the card will make windows tell you it is still in use. If the card reader has a light that flashes during data transfer then if the light is inactive it is probably OK to remove it.

(I never reformat my cards, but then I never take them out of the camera - I use the USB cable to transfer images to the PC and I've never had the problem you have when using the 'safe to remove' widget with the camera itself)
08-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Probably some of us reformat (in the camera) partly because it seems like reformatting is the easiest way to delete the entire contents of a card.

Paul
08-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Constantly reformat cards? Why? I've been shooting digital for a decade now -- Sony, Olympus, and Minolta P&S's, a couple cheap-ohs, the K20D, using a couple dozen cards of a half-dozen different types -- and I've had to reformat maybe five times total. (Mostly because of sloppy handling in hi-static dryness.)

I build a common directory structure on all those cards, so when I stick them into my multi-reader and run my MOVE FILES script, everything is where it should be, before and after. Reformatting requires rebuilding that structure -- trivial but bothersome -- and it might reset the filename-number counter on some older dumber cams, which is a real nuisance. If I was more paranoid, I'd include a CHKDSK /F in the script, to find and fix any hard errors. But those have just been vanishingly rare.

My recommendation: If you find garbage on a card, reformat it in-camera. If you find garbage on it again, replace the card. Then pry the card open and use it as a macro subject.