Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
All brand lens database

Is there an online lens database for virtually any slr lens ever made?

08-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I haven't found anything as nice as the pentax forums database for any of the other brands.
08-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kx-Rick Quote
Is there an online lens database for virtually any slr lens ever made?
Not yet. Now's your chance! Start compiling!

Really, are zillions of fragmented databases and texts around, such as The Lens Collector's Vade Mecam, besides all the single-brand or -mount sites. But in reality, you're asking for a near-impossibility (but it can't hurt to try, eh?) because so MANY lenses were made by so MANY glass shops whose records we can't access.

And what constitutes a SLR lens? And for which SLRs? With adapters, many RF and cine lenses can be used on m4/3 and K110 SLRs; and with bellows, I can slap many enlarger-projector-copy-etc lenses onto my K20D. But go ahead, start assembling a universal database. I'll just sit back and watch...
08-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Not yet. Now's your chance! Start compiling!

Really, are zillions of fragmented databases and texts around, such as The Lens Collector's Vade Mecam, besides all the single-brand or -mount sites. But in reality, you're asking for a near-impossibility (but it can't hurt to try, eh?) because so MANY lenses were made by so MANY glass shops whose records we can't access.

And what constitutes a SLR lens? And for which SLRs? With adapters, many RF and cine lenses can be used on m4/3 and K110 SLRs; and with bellows, I can slap many enlarger-projector-copy-etc lenses onto my K20D. But go ahead, start assembling a universal database. I'll just sit back and watch...
RIght again Rio........

just thought there might be someplace out there to find info

I always look thru all the data here on the forum for the latest info.

Rick

08-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Until now, it wasn't that useful to combine them all because most cameras would only be able to use a few. People with multiple systems who used a lot of different lenses often had a favorite system, affecting their opinion of other brands. But with the tremendous adaptability of the short-register digitals such as m4/3, someone might start something soon.

It's funny to see the changes in the old-lens market that these cameras and DSLR video have brought. It used to be an absolute requirement to say that the aperture ring clicked at every stop. Otherwise the lens would sell for half the normal price. Now, people pay extra for lenses that don't click, better for video.
08-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It's funny to see the changes in the old-lens market that these cameras and DSLR video have brought.
And not just old lenses. I see TONS of cheap (US$3-6) short(3-16mm) fast (f/1.2) new cine and CCTV lenses in C-CE-D mounts that are just BEGGING for placement on Q and NEX cams. And sweet oldies like surplus military gun-cam lenses. I need to sell more of my current assemblage, stock up on those (and a camera to fit). But just don't try to track them all; too many are just anonymous.