Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
My fault?

Hi,

I recently was given a ME Super, and have shot a few rolls since. The photo below was from a roll of Ultramax 400 I recently got developed. Are the spots all over the scan something that I've done? Or are they a consequence of the developer not taking enough care with dust when he scanned the film?

Thanks

Attached Images

08-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was this an old film? There is an overwhelming cyanotic colour casting and significant underexposing of the film for this shot.
The spots may just be film defects (scratches/nicks etc.), likely induced during processing as the developed film is pretty fragile.
08-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. It was shot indoors at night under some pretty strong halogen lights, so that might explain the underexposing/cyan tones.

The film I used wasn't close to being out of date.
08-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hard to control for WB on film, eh?

08-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
haha very.
08-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clearly dust on the negative. I sometimes use the local Walgreens processing when I'm testing a camera repair, and their "lab" is an open area of the store. Dust on the negatives can be pretty awful in that environment. I've also learned not to judge the exposure by their processing as it can be pretty inconsistent.
When you can stand the wait, sending the film to a good lab is worth it.
08-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks. Is it possible to remove the dust off the negatives?

08-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You can blow dust off the negatives with something like a bulb blower. Occasionally I use a very fine soft paintbrush for larger bits of fuzz that won't come off. Many flatbed scanners and dedicated negative scanners have an IR dust reduction setting that does a pretty good job of automatically finding and ignoring dust as it scans. With extremely bad dust or other marks it is possible to re-wash and dry negatives but I haven't had to go that far with any of the several thousand frames I've scanned.

I would guess that most of your dust, colour cast and softness comes from a mediocre scan. If you are considering shooting and digitizing a fair bit of film you might want to read through some of the threads here on scanning and discussing the benefits of different scanners.

Edit: It is also possible to edit or clone dust and scratches out in software.
08-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'll take it down if you want it down, but here's a quick colour correction, sharpening and dust removal. With the original file it should take under 5 minutes with a little practice.

I didn't start on the horizontal artifacts which are probably also left over from the scan.
08-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is my quick and dirty correction.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-31-2011 at 07:14 AM.
08-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for taking the time to help me out. The scan was done by a local lab when I got the roll developed, I won't be rushing back to them any time soon. I've only just started with film (3 rolls in) so i'll definitely get my own scanner very soon, and get a bit more serious about the quality of the scans i'm getting.

Don't worry about taking the pictures down, It's a good demonstration if anyone else has a look at the thread.

Thanks again