Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #1

Importing K5 PEFs into iPhoto

Sorry to start so many threads while a newbie.

I tried to import PEF files from my new K5 into iPhoto, but it said that the format was unreadable. I have iPhoto '09 and run OS 10.5.8. I tried this on another computer running 10.6.7 and iPhoto '09, and PEFs were imported, apparently correctly. Another 10.5.8 Mac also failed. I am assuming that PEFs don't work under 10.5 for some reason. Can anyone confirm that PEF import requires 10.6?

If I set the camera to save as DNG, iPhoto under 10.5 can read them, but I don't understand whether iPhoto is actually interpreting them correctly. Are there different ways of saving DNG files that require different types of interpreters?

You might wonder why I'm running 10.5, now 2 generations behind. The reason is that Nikon never updated NikonScan to run after 10.4, but it mostly works under 10.5. If Nikon had demonstrated that they were more responsive to their Mac users, I might have bought a D7000 instead of a K5.

08-03-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You'll need at least Aperture 3 or iPhoto 11 on your Mac running OSX 10.5.8 to open K5 PEF files.
Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.6
I could be wrong though because this article doesn't say which version iPhoto or Aperture is needed in OSX 10.5.x in order to open K5 PEF files.
Mac OS X v10.5: Supported digital camera RAW formats
08-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
You'll need at least Aperture 3 or iPhoto 11 on your Mac running OSX 10.5.8 to open K5 PEF files.
Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.6
I could be wrong though because this article doesn't say which version iPhoto or Aperture is needed in OSX 10.5.x in order to open K5 PEF files.
Mac OS X v10.5: Supported digital camera RAW formats
I talked to Apple. It appears that updates to Digital Camera RAW beyond 3.4 require OS 10.6. iPhoto '11 (= iPhoto 9) requires 10.6. So, it appears that the information in the supported formats document at Apple is wrong. I guess that I can use DNG for the time being.
08-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dh87 Quote
I talked to Apple. It appears that updates to Digital Camera RAW beyond 3.4 require OS 10.6. iPhoto '11 (= iPhoto 9) requires 10.6. So, it appears that the information in the supported formats document at Apple is wrong. I guess that I can use DNG for the time being.
The info is not wrong. Aperture 3 is supported by 10.5.8, only iPhoto 11 requires 10.6, unless you want to buy Aperture from the app store in which case you need 10.6.

08-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always use dng in any case... I'm guessing that future software is much more likely to use dng than some 10 year old version of the K5 version of PEF. If there is an advantage to using PEF I'd be interested in hearing about it.
08-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
boriscleto, I didn't realize that Aperture 3 ran in 10.5. I think that Aperture 3 can still be bought on CD, but it's 2x as expensive.

normhead, I don't understand the RAW formats. I thought that each type of RAW would be different and would require its own interpreter. That is, DNG files from a Nikon and a Pentax could have the same format but that their colors would require some sort of interpretation to create an image, and this interpretation would be specific for each camera.

For me, the other advantage of DNG is that I have PS CS4. CS4 opens the K5's DNGs but not its PEFs. What I don't understand is whether CS4 is correctly interpreting the information in the DNGs (since CS4 doesn't know what a K5 is).
08-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dh87 Quote
boriscleto, I didn't realize that Aperture 3 ran in 10.5. I think that Aperture 3 can still be bought on CD, but it's 2x as expensive.

normhead, I don't understand the RAW formats. I thought that each type of RAW would be different and would require its own interpreter. That is, DNG files from a Nikon and a Pentax could have the same format but that their colors would require some sort of interpretation to create an image, and this interpretation would be specific for each camera.

For me, the other advantage of DNG is that I have PS CS4. CS4 opens the K5's DNGs but not its PEFs. What I don't understand is whether CS4 is correctly interpreting the information in the DNGs (since CS4 doesn't know what a K5 is).
A DNG file is a DNG file regardless of the camera that created it.

QuoteQuote:
The public archival format for digital camera raw data
Raw file formats are becoming extremely popular in digital photography workflows because they offer creative professionals greater creative control. However, cameras can use many different raw formats the specifications for which are not publicly available which means that not every raw file can be read by a variety of software applications. As a result, the use of these proprietary raw files as a long-term archival solution carries risk, and sharing these files across complex workflows is even more challenging.

The solution to this growing problem is Digital Negative (DNG), a publicly available archival format for the raw files generated by digital cameras. By addressing the lack of an open standard for the raw files created by individual camera models, DNG helps ensure that photographers will be able to access their files in the future.
Extend | Adobe Photoshop CS5