Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you use the in camera color settings? why or why not?

Do you use the in camera color settings? (B&W, Portrait, Vibrant, landscape, etc) or do you save such changes for PP?

I never change them as I shoot, but usually ill put it in a setting say like "portrait" while im doing a certain shoot. I find it helps me to better critique the shot and adjust. Is this something you do, or are those such edits better saved for PP? I know you would have more control over it in say photoshop, but does it help you to visualize the shot if you see the colors your aiming for?

08-05-2011, 03:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I just set the contrast really low with a custom in-camera JPG setting. What many people do not know when they are shooting RAW is that the in-camera JPG processing settings have an effect on the JPG header image stored in RAW files, I do that so the lowered contrast gives an indication of where the tonal range lies - and I tweak my exposure based on this information.
08-05-2011, 04:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I usually keep the camera settings alone for color and use PP for the cleanup. I usually don't have to change them, but as Digitalis says, having a lower contrast does help.
08-05-2011, 04:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I use Pentax DCU4 for raw conversion, and it directly reads the camera settings. I don't normally change image tone, sharpness, contrast etc while I'm shooting. I find Portrait image tone gives me a good baseline to work from, so I use it as default and adjust from there. I do like to use Monochrome image tone if I'm shooting b&w exclusively.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-06-2011 at 07:15 AM.
08-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I shoot 99% JPEG, with the only exception being a shoot that I want perfect, then I shoot RAW+ just as a backup if something should go wrong (WB, etc). But I really do not change the raw settings in PP as much as I should. Maybe I should play around with both.
08-05-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use RAW so I don't have to do much that way, but yeah, sometimes.
08-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would love to shoot raw, but the file size is just soooo big. I go from like 1200 available shots, to less than 650. Not that I take that many photos but... it also takes up a ton of space on my computer. And yes, the delete button is great for that, but Im neurotic, and would always worry that I just deleted the worlds greatest picture of my blurry foot or something lol.
08-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter

No.

I just shoot raw, so no need.

08-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

When I first started out in photography and was shooting JPEG I used the color settings but for about a year now I have been shooting RAW and will use photoshop to adjust the colors.
08-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think I saw a 2TB drive at CostCo for around US$90 and a 3TB for maybe US$130, so storage space for large RAW files isn't costly. RAW just allows me to produce technically better images. (Aesthetic shortcomings are a separate issue; they're my own damn fault!) I shot JPGs-only for several years before I got the K20D. I shot JPGs-only on it for a year before I switched to RAW-only. The PP takes a little longer but it's well worth it. Yes, I use JPG settings, which carry over as defaults into RAE W development. I tweak those as needed. Which is often...

Last edited by RioRico; 08-05-2011 at 05:12 PM.
08-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Shoot raw; storage is practically free these days. The only times I shoot jpg are if using in-camera b/w to amuse myself or if I have screwed up and find myself rapidly running out of memory card with some shots that still have to be taken.
08-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
No.

I just shoot raw, so no need.
Same here. If you need to do some serious editing of your images then you have much more data to work with in 16 bit. JPEG is only 8 bit. Storage is cheap nowadays; don't let that be a limiting factor.
08-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter

I shoot with the Vivid settings on my K10D. The rest of the settings are: saturation -1, sharpness +1, contrast no change.

I still shoot raw, but if I want something SOOC, these settings are really nice. FWIW, I've yet to get a good LR preset that accurately mimics the reds that match the jpg.
08-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #14

I agree about shooting RAW since storage is so cheap now. I've been at this for a couple of years now, and I still don't know much about PP. One thing I do, however, is adjust the WB. I know someday I'll learn to do more with my shots in PP, and someday I'll go back to really get the most out of my best, most treasured shots. I'd hate to not have the RAW available.