Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #16
hll

Photos: Gallery
i am using a sunpak auto 383 super (modern one). i think it is not dedicated, because the camera (k10) measures the light as if there is no flash on it.
i read the manual which is talking about 1/60 sync speed
guys, if i see f/4 on the back of flash, does it mean i should use it with f/4 and 1/60 for correct exposure.
please help, thank you very much

02-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #17

Careful!

QuoteOriginally posted by hll Quote
i am using a sunpak auto 383 super (modern one). i think it is not dedicated, because the camera (k10) measures the light as if there is no flash on it.
i read the manual which is talking about 1/60 sync speed
guys, if i see f/4 on the back of flash, does it mean i should use it with f/4 and 1/60 for correct exposure.
please help, thank you very much
okay, first of all, make sure that your sunpak flash is not above 6 volts, as those old film camera flashes can fry digital cameras' innards! Wein makes a safe sync hotshoe that you can put on your camera, so you can use any flash and it will convert it to less than 6 volts for your digital camera.

second, if you see a graph on the back, it's most likely a lighting chart, telling you what ISO/ASA speeds to use at waht aperture. and i'd be surprised if your flash does not sync at above 1/60th sec, usually flashes will sync at up to 1/180th
02-19-2008, 01:43 AM   #18
hll

first of all, thank you for your answer FastPhotography
1) do not worry my sunpak is safe, it is the modern one for digital cameras.
2)i think they did not renew the manual, it is the old one. i can sync them up to 1/180th.
my question:
lighting chart gives me aperture, after i set up the iso.
but how can i determine my shutter speed???
did sunpak prepare the lighting chart for the shutter speed 1/60 th???
thanks
02-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Shutter Speed and Flash

QuoteOriginally posted by hll Quote
first of all, thank you for your answer FastPhotography
1) do not worry my sunpak is safe, it is the modern one for digital cameras.
2)i think they did not renew the manual, it is the old one. i can sync them up to 1/180th.
my question:
lighting chart gives me aperture, after i set up the iso.
but how can i determine my shutter speed???
did sunpak prepare the lighting chart for the shutter speed 1/60 th???
thanks

1/60 second was the maximum flash synch for many slrs in the days when film was king. Today, most dslrs will synch at higher speeds. The K10D, in particular synchs at a maximum shutter speed of 1/180. For any camera, the maximum synch speed is that speed at which the focal plane shutter is completely open. Above that speed, the trailing shutter begins closing before the leading shutter has finished opening. This means that there is a slit that moves across the sensor, rather than having the entire frame exposed. To see the effect, put your camera in manual mode and set the shutter speed very high, like 1/500 or 1/1000 and take a flash picture. You will see that only part of the frame is exposed.

If the flash is the primary lighting source, the shutter speed is usually irrelevant, as long as it does not exceed the maximum synch speed for your camera. This is because the flash has a much shorter duration, typically 1/1000 second or less.

Shutter speed becomes relevant if you are trying to combine flash and ambient light. In this case, you can set the shutter speed lower so that the ambient light in the room will expose most of the image, but the flash's brief duration will freeze the action of some element of the picture.

I'm not very familiar with the Sunpak 383. If it is an autoflash, then the flash itself has a sensor that "reads" the light returning from the subject. When the flash determines that enough light has reached its sensor (and the assumption is that the flash/sensor is close to the camera), it quenches the flash output, so that no more light reaches the camera. For this reason, the duration of light from an autoflash can vary from 1/1000 second for relatively distant objects to as short as 1/50,000 second for close objects.

With an autoflash, there is usually a chart that says, in effect, for ISO 100 film, set your aperture at xx; for ISO 200, set it at yy; for ISO 400, set it at zz, and so on. As I said, the camera's shutter speed is largely irrelevant. If you flash has multiple power settings, there will be one such list for each power level.

02-25-2008, 11:08 PM   #20
Forum Member

Go here for Strobe Trigger Voltage.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

Rg.
02-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #21
hll

thank you very much!!