Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #1

Lens optics cleaning help

Hello,
few days ago I got a 500mm Sunagor lens. It was slightly bent, aperture blades were stuck, but it was (almost) free
I took it apart, managed to fix all the problems but one.
One of the optical lenses is very matte on one side. Looks like covered with oil. I don't know enough about optics to correctly identify the problem.
So here go the pictures.
Is is something that can easly be removed / restored or this piece of glass is beyond repair?
Any ideas on how (and what with) to restore the lens?

Thanks

Name:  IMGP2705.JPG
Views: 659
Size:  203.3 KB

Name:  IMGP2698.JPG
Views: 563
Size:  177.8 KB

08-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried cleaning it?

Find some Eclips which is sold as an optics cleaner (some use it to clean their sensors). Regular lens cleaner may also work. For the money invested, you can't do much harm.. Even eye glasses cleaner (don't use one with an anit-fog element though). 99% rubbing alcohol. Lots of stuff you can try.

08-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Have you tried cleaning it?
I'm sorry I should have put it in my initial post.
So far I tried soapy water, commercial lens cleaner, isopropyl alcohol and gold cleaning solution. It made no difference.

Any more ideas?
08-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Cold Creme (like Ponds etc), left for an hour to set, then removed with Zippo Fluid or Alcohol on Q-Tip ?

Some guys I read over at MFLenses use this to do fungus removal etc when researching cleaning my A50/1.7.. not done it myself.

Dunno...

08-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #5

I've had a few rear elements on long Tamrons go like that.
After having one disaster and a few wins I came to the conclusion that fungus
had etched itself into the coating on the element..
Had to polish the coating off the glass, tried a few different things and found that Brasso metal polish does a great job.
Takes plenty of rubbing with a nice soft cloth, but I cannot even tell there was a coating there and the glass is clear.
Probably responsible for some flare in the lens at times, but really there was no other option.
08-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
Inactive Account

This is serious .
08-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #7

Was pretty bad when taking pics with it on the element, was like taking pics with a soft focus filter on...not pretty.
Lens is very sharp now, although with a bit of flare now and again.
Trailed lots of things before the Brasso, found this to be excellent as it is very fine and leaves no traces, others may have a different remedy for taking the coating off.
08-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #8

Original Poster
I have some metal and silver polish at home. I'll give it a go over next few days and let you know about the results. Thanks.

08-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by icejam Quote
I have some metal and silver polish at home. I'll give it a go over next few days and let you know about the results. Thanks.
Soooo How did the silver polish work on the lens?
08-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by notsowise Quote
Soooo How did the silver polish work on the lens?
I'm moving houses at the moment so all the lens cleaning activities will have to wait till weekend. I'll post some pictures on Sunday.