Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax A-Rikenon P

Should a Rikenon P lens work the same as a Pentax A on a K-X?How about other third party lens with the A setting?
Thanks,
Jake

08-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The "P" on Ricoh lenses is, indeed, the equivalent of "A" on Pentax lenses, but the "P" will not work as an "A" on a Pentax dslr. Contacts are different.
If a third-party lens in K mount has the "A" setting, you will have auto-aperture with it on any Pentax dslr.
08-06-2011, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Furthermore, a Rikenon with the P-pin (Ricoh Pin) will get stuck on a K-x unless you remove it. This is because the "Ricoh Pin" is in just about the same spot as the Pentax AF screw-drive. Just google "Ricoh Pin". Later "Ricoh Pins" on third party lenses are usually safe, but not always.

Most third party lenses with the A-pin also have the P-pin and are identified as PK-A/R.
08-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both Ricoh P 50/f2 and /1.7 lenses, they are both fine on the k-mount without any modification since the Pin is a ball which could be retracted by pushing it in. However, other third-party Ricoh lenses such Sears or JC penny makes are not quite the same, which as others suggested may get stuck in the k-mount screw-drive slot. Therefore, before you mount any of these lenses, be very careful.

Back to the OP's question, the Ricoh P lens can only be used as if it is a Pentax M or K manual focus lens.

08-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the good explanation of the A and the P pin.I was aware of the ricoh pin and it getting stuck.I have a nice third party lens with the ap setting from which I removed both pins which don't work in the AV setting,should e able to put the A pin back in for it to work properly in AV.
Thanks,
Jake
08-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My only Rikenons are M42 but I have various third-party (Sears and Focal) KR lenses, all with just the ball, not the pin. No trouble at all. Some of the lenses appear to be made by Ricoh itself, some by Samyang. So third-party KR lenses don't all require mandatory surgery.
08-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
TZH

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My only Rikenons are M42 but I have various third-party (Sears and Focal) KR lenses, all with just the ball, not the pin. No trouble at all. Some of the lenses appear to be made by Ricoh itself, some by Samyang. So third-party KR lenses don't all require mandatory surgery.
Yes,mine lens is same as yours,just a ball,not pin, safety Ricoh ball