Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #1

Pentax K-x Lens Hood and Caps

Hey everyone,

So I got knockoff lens hoods for the DA-L 18-55mm and 55-300mm on eBay a while back. The thing is, they're really loose and don't use the filter threads. Is that how the authentic Pentax lens hoods are? Can I get screw on lens hoods that aren't so flimsy?

Also, I'm wondering if I can get screw on caps for the lens backs rather than the push on kind? Maybe one for the body as well?

Thanks for helping out!

08-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter

the one I got for the 18-55 is a bit loose too. the one for the 55-300 is perfect. I guess you have to be lucky but for their price I thing they do their job.
The screw on caps will work. I use some from older lenses but I bet you can find them for sale too.
s
08-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here is a listing for rear lens caps. Note the shipping $2 for first item and free for next, so it is $3 for one shipped and $4 for two shipped, etc.
Pentax DSLR lens Rear cap - eBay (item 260687501833 end time Aug-31-11 02:59:29 PDT)
This is the kind of cap that you want, it covers the contacts on the base of the lens. Old style lens caps do NOT cover the contacts.

As for your hoods, you can make them 'snap' tighter by applying a little super glue to the little notch on the hood that clicks into the lens (use a toothpick) and let the hood dry OVER NIGHT before you try it on the lens. DO NOT put it on the lens until the glue is dry!
08-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
My 55-300 also has a much more snug fit than the 18-55. Weird.

Good tips about the super glue and the eBay link. I'll be sure to pick up a few. Thanks!

09-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Pentax KX Filter

HI everyone, I have been reading this forum which has so many great suggestions. My daughter received the Pentax KX with the 1855 and 55-300 lens and would like a new lens for Xmas.
She wants a fish eye but after reading about this at $500-600.00 I was hoping you guys could suggest something else.

I would like to get my daughter the Circular Polarizing filter, step up rings and a auxiliary Fish eye attachment lens.
Could you tell me what size Circular Filter I would need for the above set up and also if this Fish Eye attachment is worth it.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
09-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Screw on lens hoods are a pain when you need to change lenses quickly, and are swapping the lenses out from a smallish bag. The screw on lens hoods also don't reverse. Again, that makes transporting and storing them more awkward.
09-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by poorgirl Quote
HI everyone, I have been reading this forum which has so many great suggestions. My daughter received the Pentax KX with the 1855 and 55-300 lens and would like a new lens for Xmas.
She wants a fish eye but after reading about this at $500-600.00 I was hoping you guys could suggest something else.

I would like to get my daughter the Circular Polarizing filter, step up rings and a auxiliary Fish eye attachment lens.
Could you tell me what size Circular Filter I would need for the above set up and also if this Fish Eye attachment is worth it.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Look at the lens and see what size it says in mm. That will be the size filter you should buy, or what size step up rings you need. Most of my lenses are wither 49mm or 52mm, so those are the step up/down rings I bought. As for the fish eye attachment, I have no clue. Here are a couple of links I found by just googling it. Fisheye Attachment - Photo.net Accessories - Filters, Bags, Tripods Forum
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/117904-screw-fi...ment-lens.html

Last edited by subeeds; 09-25-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Edited one more time because I didn't post in the wrong place. :)
09-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought several rear caps on Amazon, good deal on good caps too. Not sure why so many old style caps are being sold on ebay.

I agree with mysticcowboy, screw on caps are a pain, but on some lenses there aren't many options.

09-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
Forum Member

I started w/the same setup & my 1st lens purchase was a fisheye - Rokinon 8mm, works perfectly for me & did not cost too much. My next purchase was an smc PENTAX-FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 for $29, & it's become my "walking-around" lens, since the middle of it's zoom range is 55mm which is right at the edges of the 2 kit lenses & it takes really good pics for the price & the range seems to work really well. focuses fast.
10-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The official lens hood's from Pentax are also bayonet mounts like the eBay knock-offs but they're as snug as can be. Price you pay / don't pay buying knock-off products.

For what it's worth I would never want a lens hood that wasn't a bayonet mount. Screw on lens hoods are a pain.