Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
cheapo close up lenses

I see some very cheap close up lenses on ebay for $13, which includes a 1, 2, 4, and 10 + lenses. Does anyone have any experience with these lenses? They are sold by something called Apple's Camera in Hong Kong. I read a thread that talked about the raynox lenses, but even those are a good bit more expensive than what I'm talking about. I know it's only $13 plus shipping, but are they even worth that? On a similar note, do these only work with macro? I'm wondering about tubes too ... do they only work for macro? Is there any way to turn my 70-300 lens into a 400 or 500 or whatever for distance work on the cheap? Sorry for asking such cheap questions, but at this point I'm no where near being able to buy a star or Limited lens. That's just the way it is. Thanks. Jim

08-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html <-- an informative article

Closeup cheapos (+dioptre meniscus lenses) are fun and cheap and, used carefully, don't degrade IQ too terribly. Raynox adapters are more expensive and much much better, being corrected for optical aberrations. A +1dpt closeup is useful for close portraits, like at about 1m, where you don't care about the image edges. Yes, tubes are mainly for macro -- the exception being a short tube on a long lens. I'm writing an article now about all the stuff that can be hung on a lens. Stay tuned, and read the above article. More soon!

More answers: Yes, US$13 is about what a set of closeups are worth. Yes, Raynox adapters are worth the extra money -- see the RAYNOX CLUB photos here. (And I can do wicked stuff by mixing those!) No, closeup adapters and tubes are not teleconverters and won't extend your zoom's focal range. And good TC's for your 70-200 are quite expensive. And most TC's suck royally. They're best with the glass removed. If you want a fairly cheap long lens, get a mirror.

What closeup adapters and extension (tubes and/or bellows) do is pull the focus distance 'way in. I'll put a 10mm tube on a 200mm lens to bring its near focus from 2-3m down to 1-1.5m, and drop far focus from infinity to maybe 75m. That's handy for shooting where infinity doesn't matter. Extension is clean, doesn't degrade IQ. I only have about 10 sets of tubes and 3 bellows. And about 5 sets of closeup cheapos. Yeah, I like the stuff. Yeah, they're cheap! And so am I.

Last edited by RioRico; 08-06-2011 at 08:22 PM.
08-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the information contained in your post. So I need a teleconverter to extend the reach on my zoom and they suck and aren't cheap, so that doesn't sound like a good way to go. But I might try the cheap macro lenses. It's been disappointing to me that I can't even shoot anywhere near as good macro with my kx and collection of crummy lenses as I could with my $200 Olympus superzoom. Other than that, though, my kx blows the Olympus out of the water.
08-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Just out of curiosity -- did you read the article I linked atop my previous post? I go into great detail there on how to do cheap macro, really.

No, not all TC's suck, just the affordable ones. It's like this: There's 4 types of TC's that can be used on your Kx: M42 screwmount (manual everything), PK-M (manual everything), PK-A (auto aperture control), and AF (autofocus and auto-aperture). Each of these are best suited for lenses with the same mounts.

M42 and PK-M TC's are almost always a crapshoot. They extend the focal length (for better or worse, usually worse) but you must do everything manually. PK-A's allow aperture control, which is mighty handy, but most simply don't have superior optics. And any lens problems are magnified. That leaves the AF's; the best are very good and costly, are matched to specific lenses, and won't work well with other lenses. If you're a serious birder with a budget for high-end glass, they're great. Otherwise you'll usually get better IQ by cropping the image.

NOTE: I just bought (CHEAP!) a good M42 TC that's matched to a specific lens. Now I just need to find that lens...

08-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best bang for the buck (in my experience) in an inexpensive manual focus teleconverter is the Vivitar 2x Macro Focusing Teleconverter. It isn't Great at the doubling function but it isn't terrible either. Where it really shines is when you put a lens on and go macro with it (but as rico says, any problems with the lens itself will be magnified so you still want a good lens to use with one). If you put a 50mm lens on it, you have 1:1 macro.

With a 77mm lens..

With a 43mm lens.

I don't have any telephotos uploaded at the moment but since you originally asked about Closeup lenses, I figured these photos would suffice in my answer.

08-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Just out of curiosity -- did you read the article I linked atop my previous post? I go into great detail there on how to do cheap macro, really.

No, not all TC's suck, just the affordable ones. It's like this: There's 4 types of TC's that can be used on your Kx: M42 screwmount (manual everything), PK-M (manual everything), PK-A (auto aperture control), and AF (autofocus and auto-aperture). Each of these are best suited for lenses with the same mounts.

M42 and PK-M TC's are almost always a crapshoot. They extend the focal length (for better or worse, usually worse) but you must do everything manually. PK-A's allow aperture control, which is mighty handy, but most simply don't have superior optics. And any lens problems are magnified. That leaves the AF's; the best are very good and costly, are matched to specific lenses, and won't work well with other lenses. If you're a serious birder with a budget for high-end glass, they're great. Otherwise you'll usually get better IQ by cropping the image.

NOTE: I just bought (CHEAP!) a good M42 TC that's matched to a specific lens. Now I just need to find that lens...
Have you sought in your own collection already? I wouldn't remember whether I had it or not.....
08-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Have you sought in your own collection already? I wouldn't remember whether I had it or not.....
HA! Yeah, I keep a database, and I know I don't have an M42 Vivitar 70-150. (I've only 10 MF zooms; I can remember those!) Hay, do you have an extra? Cheap?

08-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Note that while the raynox lenses cost more than $13, they are still extremely cheap - under $50. Absolutely positively worth it.
08-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Note that while the raynox lenses cost more than $13, they are still extremely cheap - under $50. Absolutely positively worth it.
I see them on eBay in the US$65-75 range new -- still extremely good values. IMHO the cheapo adapters are to play with, and the Raynoxi are to work with. Again, the RAYNOX CLUB photos here attest to their brilliance.
08-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to everybody for all the help. Jim
08-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Since Jim asked first about closeup lenses, I thought I'd jump in here too and show him some images taken with an Pentax 18-55mm paired with three closeups stacked.

But I also had a Raynox DCR-150 but had to sell it, due to heaviness in my lens coupled with that adapter, made it impossible for me to get the shots I'd seen others get using one. I went back to my cheap (gift from a member) closeup set.
08-08-2011, 08:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You don't need to use their adapter. For another $5, just get a stepping ring.
08-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What's a stepping ring? And while we're at it, what can you tell me about extension tubes? Also, does anybody have any experience with these fairly cheap lenses that screw onto your lens that extend the telephoto? I'd love to be able to turn my 70-300 into a 400 or 500 or whatever ON THE CHEAP!
08-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhenders Quote
What's a stepping ring?
That's an adapter ring for putting add-ons onto lenses with different-size front threads, among other stuff. For instance, you might have a filter or optical add-on that is 55mm in diameter, and a lens whose front thread is 49mm. You would use a cheap 49-55mm step-up ring to match those.

They also go in the other direction. Say you have a 49mm closeup adapter and a 52mm-thread lens -- you would use a 52-49mm step-down ring. You probably wouldn't want to use that 49mm add-on on a 62mm-thread lens. Yes, 62-49mm step-downs are available, but you'd probably get vignetting, with the image corners cut-off a bit.

QuoteQuote:
And while we're at it, what can you tell me about extension tubes?
I write about them a little here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html
I'll soon post an article dealing with them and with your next question -- stay tuned!

QuoteQuote:
Also, does anybody have any experience with these fairly cheap lenses that screw onto your lens that extend the telephoto? I'd love to be able to turn my 70-300 into a 400 or 500 or whatever ON THE CHEAP!
There are optical extenders that screw onto the front of a lens and multiply the focal length. They suck. Similar ones that widen the lens, alleged wide-angle and fisheye adapters, suck even more. You can also get teleconverters (TC's) that multiply the focal length (and shrink the aperture hole) by some factor such as 1.4x or 2x. Cheap ones suck. Good ones are costly. Compared to an optical add-on or a TC, you'll get better image quality (IQ) by just cropping the image.
08-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
too bad. thanks for the reply. I was hoping I'd be able to extend my 70-300 for next to nothing, but I'll take your word for it and leave them at ebay.