Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2011, 04:09 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I'm confused as to how you are getting to your final selection of lenses, bar the long one.
My post does look confusing!

Let me explain. When I shoot landscape I am always pushing the minimum focal length (18 mm). I should broaden the minimum to the DA 14mm. The 31mm works out to be about 50mm ideal for my second lens.

08-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #17

Just bought the FA31 and it's GREAT.
08-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Hendry Quote
Just bought the FA31 and it's GREAT.
Could you perhaps upload some pics?
08-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rainwilds Quote
Looks like my three main focal lengths with roughly the same amount of shots at the 35mm equivalent are:

1. 27mm = 18mm APS-C
  2. 80mm = 50mm APS-C
  3. 450mm = 300mm APS-C
Based on this it looks like something like the following would be ideal; taking into account the good suggestions above:

1. 14mm DA Limited
  2. 31mm Limited or Zeiss Distagon 35mm f2
  3. Existing kit Sigma 70-300mm until I can afford the Sigma 50-500mm
Great software really helps you narrow your selection. Thanks again!
One thing to keep in mind is that your exposure plot data shows 3 clumps of data at the ends of the kit lenses. This might give you an incorrect answer since you likely would have gone past that focal length if possible.

It's clear that you want a wide angle.
A) DA 14 - great choice if you need a faster lens but it's bigger
B) DA 15 - outstanding lens that is really compact
C) the Pentax/Tamron/Sigma zooms since they go even wider for about the same cost as the others
D) possibly other options like the fisheye lenses

A good normal lens in the 30-40mm length is important
So many choices that I'm not even going to start - the FA31 is possibly the most coveted but you can almost buy two great lenses for that price - for example the DA35 and a DA70.

A good long telephoto
you have your sigma for now

What you haven't mentioned for your lineup is a good portrait or macro lens. The DA35macro is good for flowers but most like a longer lens for insects. Maybe the DFA 100/2.8. The FA50, DA 70 or FA77 are very popular among other portrait lenses.

but you can't really go wrong imo.