Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #1

*ist DS lens question

Did some searching around last night, and a bit this a.m. w/o results. I have an *istDS w/a 35-70 mm macro lense. While I know this is an older model, it serves my purposes well. Recently, I went to use and the zoom function of the lense didn't work. I had attended a rather large birthday party, and brought the camera with me in my camera bag. I had left the bag unattended, so I'm not sure if some child or someone got into and messed with my camera. Needless to say, when I discovered, I was quite upset; equally so, I do blame myself for being so foolish to leave it unattended. My question is: can the zoom function be fixed/restored? And, is it worth the $$'s to repair, so should I just suck it up and purchase a replacement?

I am new to this forum, and pretty much a novice to digital photography (but learning all the time). Help and advice very appreciated.

Nelson

PS: Is there a reference guide or table of what lenses will fit certain models? Or, am I at the mercy of the search box? TIA ...

08-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I saw a F35-70, same as yours, listed for US$20 BIN (buy it now) on eBay a couple days ago. Minimum lens repair bill is going to be US$50-100. To me, that's an easy choice.

As for lenses: Every Pentax lens ever made will work on your camera. M42 screwmounts like the Takumars will need simple adapters; all others will lock right on. Non-auto-aperture manual-focus lenses require a little more work, but all the SMC-A and -F and -FA and -DA lenses will be nice and easy. Take a look at the lens database here. Try not to drool too much. And read the stickys on lens use atop the Beginners and Lens forums. Have fun!
08-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

A 35mm lens on an APS-C dslr is not a very wide angle lens. It is the equivalent of a 50mm, so-called "normal" lens on a 35mm film camera.

Since you're in the market for a new lens, why not get the standard 18-55mm kit lens? There are several different versions that have been made over the years. I believe that they're all optically the same. They show up on ebay with some regularity, as new buyers sometimes upgrade to a better lens of the same focal length range.

The 18mm end of the zoom is a moderately wide angle lens, equivalent to 27mm on a 35mm film camera. You should be able to pick one up for well under $100, although some ebay sellers seem to think it is worth $200.

Here's one: Pentax SMC DA-L 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Zoom Lens NEW! | eBay
08-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Any version of the DA18-55 is indeed good to have. And so is the F35-70, the best kit lens of its day, quite sharp and agile. They're both inexpensive now, and they serve different purposes.

08-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Btw, what do you mean exactly that the zoom doesn't work? The zoom ring won't turn at all, or turning it doesn't make the lens zoom? Just to be sure - you *are* turning the zoom ring, not the focus ring, right?

But in any case, I agree with others that this was not really a particular good lens to use as a standard zoom on a DSLR - the focal lengths are all wrong fom APS-C. The 18-55 is the no-brainer choice toreplace it cheaply.
08-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your message, Marc ... yes, it is the zoom (second closest to camera body) marked 35 - 50- 70 MACRO. From camera body out: (first)aperture setting ring, (second) [as previous mentioned], and (third) focus ring. The zoom ring turns, but the lense does not move in & out. I'm no expert, but would have to guess that there is a pin or some such device that may have broken off or snapped. I would be pretty angry if I found out that some kid was messing with it, but, again, I blame myself for leaving it unattended, too.

I have to agree that the 18-55 is a better choice. I've been scouting eBay to see if one or something similar comes up. Not shooting too much these days, but also have a 70-200 mm lense that came with the camera when I purchased.

BTW, this is a great forum! I did lots of reading a few nights ago. Always looking to learn ...
08-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nelson Mutz Quote
I have to agree that the 18-55 is a better choice. I've been scouting eBay to see if one or something similar comes up.
Post a Wanted thread in the MarketPlace for the lenses you are looking for. There are several people that will sell their DA 18-55 for a reasonable price.

Tim
08-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Personally I have been using my 35-70 MF (vivitar 2.8-3.8) and a recently acquired 28-80 AF more than my kit lens lately. It depends on what you are shooting and I think there is a lot of personal preference which will work better for you. Many others do seem to like the extra wide better though. Did you ever find yourself wanting to be able to go wider with your previous lens?
As far as there being a pin, I have only torn apart a handfull of lenses but it seems that they all have screws with a plastic rollers that actuate the zoom etc. The screws are very small and are generally threaded into aluminum which isn't the toughest material in the world and can be pretty soft. I can easily see one of those tiny screws breaking off or more likely just ripping out of the aluminum if say for instance it was dropped on the front of the lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nelson Mutz Quote
Thanks for your message, Marc ... yes, it is the zoom (second closest to camera body) marked 35 - 50- 70 MACRO. From camera body out: (first)aperture setting ring, (second) [as previous mentioned], and (third) focus ring. The zoom ring turns, but the lense does not move in & out. I'm no expert, but would have to guess that there is a pin or some such device that may have broken off or snapped. I would be pretty angry if I found out that some kid was messing with it, but, again, I blame myself for leaving it unattended, too.

I have to agree that the 18-55 is a better choice. I've been scouting eBay to see if one or something similar comes up. Not shooting too much these days, but also have a 70-200 mm lense that came with the camera when I purchased.

BTW, this is a great forum! I did lots of reading a few nights ago. Always looking to learn ...