Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
You are going to have to replace the flash head anyway, so what you do to that one will not increase or decrease your cost. Just file the bump down to the point where the flash closes properly and if you wish add some clear RTV to seal up the hole, then go with it. You can get it repaired properly later. Careful with the RTV, it does not set up instantly, do not let the RTV ooze down and touch the flash tube. You may want to rig something up to hold the camera in the proper position to allow the RTV to dry. Personally, I would file it down and use that way, then fix it later.
Thanks! I heard the same thing from a couple more shops (never did get a hold of Pentax Support). I am going take it to a friends with a big vice (not too tight) and a dremel (going to buff it first, and try and bend it back) and see if we can just shave of the little bump. Going to seal it up after that and call it good. I'll post back when the job is done with a photo. Either it will look nice, or I will have a permanent dremel stuck in my K-7 and just have to deal with the additional grip Could be revolutionary .

08-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #17

Original Poster
Hello all again.

After a couple weeks using the camera off and on (about 2200 exposures, 200 of which were with flash) I have finally done something about the gaping hole at the top of the diffuser.

At the start, the flash would barely close and I was worried I was going to need to take a dremel/sandpaper to it. Thankfully, the constant use (heating up, cooling down) cause the massive drippy bit to recede back a bit. I can now close the flash without issue.

I was originally going to use plastic bonding epoxy, but at the last second I grabbed a tube of silicon. As carefully as I could, I plugged up the opening, and razored it flat (doesn't look that flat in the photos, but better than it did). The flash still works, the silicon is just about dry.

This is more of just an update, as the flash is "fixed" for the time being. Sadly, every place I contacted wanted to replace the entire flash, and would have taken too long to get it back to me prior to my trip abroad (which this camera plays an important role).