Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
does it make sense that this happens with certain lenses and not others?
Different lenses render color differently, and some, especially older glass, sometimes exercise strange effects on AWB. However, I have the K 35/3.5 and have never gotten this sort of purple cast out of it using AWB. With the K-5, I usually get shots from the K 35 that are biased toward a colder, bluer temperature, rather than toward a magenta (i.e., purplish) tint. My K 28/3.5 does, on the other hand, tend to AWB toward the purple side of the spectrum, but not anywhere near as bad as the sample photo above. And about once every thousand shots or so, I'll get a purple cast photo from the K 50/1.2.

You may not have any choice but to shoot raw with older lenses, particularly lenses that may not render colors as accurately as newer lenses. Doing manual white balance would also help, but I could forsee issues even in that case, as it might be difficult to get the color scheme you find most pleasing out of lenses that render color unevenly, with some colors favored over others.

08-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
for just about all my other lenses and photos, the awb on the k-5 is about as perfectly accurate as it could possibly be, best auto white balance ever. but just sometimes with this lens and maybe a couple others, it tends to be purple like this, and the next shot might be perfect though, so not sure why that is, guess i will just live with it, try one of the programs suggested if i have a shot i want to save or make less purple thanks.