Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
why am i getting a purple cast in some of my photos?

it seems that i am getting a purple cast to about half of my shots , which i was not getting , previously, noticed this with a k35mm lens and fa50 1.7 lens, most recently; this is not a purple fringing in strong light, ( as in purple outline of branches or leaves in strong sunlight) but just general purple cast to the whole frame, however some shots come out fine, but the next may have this cast to it, camera is k-5.
thanks

08-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

In order to figure this out can you let us know the answers to these Q's:
Are you shooting in RAW or JPEG?
If RAW, what software are you using to process your photos?
Are you using auto white balance, or choosing one of the presets, or custom WB?
08-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
In order to figure this out can you let us know the answers to these Q's:
Are you shooting in RAW or JPEG?
If RAW, what software are you using to process your photos?
Are you using auto white balance, or choosing one of the presets, or custom WB?
More importantly than all of that, a sample image with EXIF intact would work wonders.
08-08-2011, 04:29 AM   #4

Original Poster
shooting in jpeg, auto white balance, not quite sure how to get a photo on here as this won't let me download one from my computer , it seems. i need an http something or other?

08-08-2011, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's most likely due to auto white balance. I've seen the same when shooting eg. near yellow painted walls or lots of unpainted wooden furniture. That can register with the camera as low colour temperature, which it then tries to compensate for.

Regards,
--Anders.
08-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
grays are what ends up purple the most, as in gray weathered boards, or a gray roof, i know i SHOULD shoot raw, but like the ease of jpeg, odd though how one shot can be fine and the next of the same thing, same settings, end up purple.
08-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just to cover all bases: have you tried changing the SDHC card? I know that some cards can do weird things sometimes......

08-08-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Click the Manage Attachments button at the bottom of the screen while posting to get to a screen where you can upload photos. Or create a free account on flickr, picasaweb, photobucket, or some such and upload the picutre there then link to it here.
08-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #9

Original Poster
will try changing sd cards, couldn't load a photo from shutterfly. also, don't see a manage attachments button anywhere .
08-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
grays are what ends up purple the most, as in gray weathered boards, or a gray roof, i know i SHOULD shoot raw, but like the ease of jpeg, odd though how one shot can be fine and the next of the same thing, same settings, end up purple.
You don't have to shoot raw to correct this problem. Just abandon auto white balance. That's what I did in your situation. That solution has its own set of problems of course, like forgetting to actually set a proper white balance when the light changes.

Regards,
--Anders.
08-09-2011, 04:58 AM   #11

Original Poster
does it make sense that this happens with certain lenses and not others?
08-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
don't see a manage attachments button anywhere .
Below the post text box is small a pink rectangle containing the black words Attach Photos or Files.

Below that is a white box with the words Manage Attachments. Click on that.
08-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #13

Original Poster
i guess the ' post quick reply' which i was using is not the right place to download photos from the computer, also, the file size with my k-5 is too big using the ' post reply ' thing over there on the left...... i'll figure this out eventually.
08-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If the other suggestions dont help your purpleness, hunt down a free proggy called Puprle Fringe Killer ( PFK ).

Its a great plugin action for Adobe
08-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #15

Original Poster
purple shot with k35 f3.5, and the boards with fa50 f1.7, the boards are basically the correct coloration, only thing i did was to crop both these to fit file sizes for downloading
Attached Images