Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax stores in Chicago?

I'll be visiting Chicago in early December and was wondering if I could take advantage of the situation by for example buying the DA* 60-250mm lens that I covet and which is probably quite a bit cheaper on your side of the Atlantic. What stores would you recommend in Chicago and do they usually have such a good supply that one can expect to find the lens in question on stock?

08-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is one store:
Products - Camera Craft
It is in Rockford and is about 90 miles from Chicago. Not a large distance by US standards. Not sure where you are from.

There are a number of camera stores in Chicago but the likelihood of finding Pentax products is low. This stores supposedly carries the lens in stock. Call them on the phone.

The other option is that if you are staying with somone or have friends in Chicago is to have them buy it for you from one of the online retailers like B&H, Amazon etc. There would be no tax and you can even have it shipped overnight if your stay is short...
08-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The tax here in Chicago is very high, around 10%? That makes things a lot pricier than they have to be.
08-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, but I'll be flying to Chicago and spending my time at a congress, so out of the city is out of the question unfortunately.

Actually after posting this thread I found an older one, which mentioned 2-3 different stores. One was Central cameras or something and another Helix. But according to their websites they do not seem to stock that many Pentax lenses. I guess I'll drop the plan.

08-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #5

How long will you be in Chicago? You might consider ordering what you want from a reputable online retailer and having them deliver to your hotel room in Chicago.
08-09-2011, 04:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, that might be an option. I'll be there for nearly a week.