Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I say again: my K7 takes RAW+ all the time. It has never stopped doing so since I set it up that way, and I never use the RAW button. I set it that way in the menu system.

You are having problems because you are using the RAW button, you do NOT have to do that.

09-19-2011, 01:31 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep. For me the RAW button on the K-7 is pretty useless. Set it on RAW via the menu and forget about it. I change to JPEG if doing some quick action sports pictures but otherwise I try to shoot in RAW only. RAW+ does little for me except use up space on the card.
09-19-2011, 02:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
RAW+ does little for me except use up space on the card.
I have to agree with this. I experimented with RAW+ shortly after getting my camera, as it was the first time I'd been confronted with raw files, but once I got comfortable editing and exporting them, I switched to shooting raw exclusively.

Man, what a difference over jpegs, too. So much more control.
09-19-2011, 03:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
RAW+ does little for me except use up space on the card.
I can see a purpose for RAW+ if the user NEEDS to have instantly-available samples of works that will be refined later. Maybe to generate smallest-resolution JPGs as super-thumbnails, that sort of thing. Or if I normally developed RAWs into TIFs for further processing, the RAW+ JPGs might be handy mementos.

When I transitioned from JPG-only to RAW-only I passed through a RAW+ stage. I quickly learned that the JPGs generated in RAW development overwrote the RAW+ JPGs. I had no further use for superfluous JPGs. Why should I bother with RAW+?

To those of you who don't consider yourself novices and who do use RAW+, I'll ask: Why? What is your application?

09-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I used to use RAW+ because Pentax hadn't released a code I could use with Windows 7 x64 to browse the photos in Windows Explorer. Now, for the K7 and most other Pentax DSLRs, Microsoft have. However I've set the camera to only take small JPGs, so I've left the setting as is. I do use the JPGs from time to time, for Ebay and emailing.
09-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I used to use RAW+ because Pentax hadn't released a code I could use with Windows 7 x64 to browse the photos in Windows Explorer. Now, for the K7 and most other Pentax DSLRs, Microsoft have. However I've set the camera to only take small JPGs, so I've left the setting as is. I do use the JPGs from time to time, for Ebay and emailing.
Same for me, but instead I started using Adobe Bridge instead of windows explorer. I used to keep both when I was doing a lot of startrails stuff because startrails.exe only accepts JPGs. But I wanted the RAWs in case I needed to mass adjust.

I've never even used the RAW button on the K-7. I feel very sorry for penties_rider if you've been pressing your RAW button all the time. The manual says

QuoteQuote:
RAW+ / Images are saved in both RAW and JPEG formats. When the RAW button is pressed, images are temporarily captured in both formats. (p. 189).
What it should have said is perhaps just

QuoteQuote:
RAW+ / Images are saved in both RAW and JPEG formats.
and prevent this poor fella's obvious confusion that the default format choice RAW+ also requires you to press the RAW button. After all there's a seperate spiel about the RAW button on page 189 so maybe they should have explained all of how it works there rather than structuring the way they did.

Anyhow. File format RAW+ is definitely what you're looking for.

Last edited by Nass; 09-19-2011 at 07:43 AM.
09-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I guess I got it right by not reading the manual!

09-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are the pages, follow instructions on page 188, not page 189.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:48 PM.
09-23-2011, 05:56 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Excellent

Finn - that raised a laugh Reminds me of my school days.
09-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Excellent

Finn - that raised a laugh Reminds me of my school days.
Hehe, I just had a flashback.
09-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
9/10 for effort
09-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Here are the pages, follow instructions on page 188, not page 189.
Actually... I think the manual is OK. The heading on the left hand page is 'Setting the file format'. The top heading on the right-hand page is 'Setting the RAW file format', and the lower one is 'Setting the RAW button function' (my emphasis).

Suspect the OP originally managed to skip the left-hand page and got fixated on the second part of the right-hand page.
09-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
Actually... I think the manual is OK.
Yes, just hard to follow sometimes.
09-24-2011, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #29
Forum Member

I shoot RAW+ all the time. It's probably my old computer, but I find I can zip through the jpegs in full screen size very quickly, then pick out the ones that interest me for processing of their RAW counterparts in Lightroom. Also, it's sometimes interesting to see how the Pentax jpeg processed the RAW.

If you're shooting RAW already, the jpegs take very little extra space.
09-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree on that.
OP could not get the RAW+ stick as a default shooting mode.
Closed Thread