Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Agree on that.
OP could not get the RAW+ stick as a default shooting mode.
OP had misread the maybe not very well written manual... Since the OP lives in the US so probably has English (US version) as their first language, and gives their occupations as "freelance photographer / computer graphics / IT technician" I am slightly surprised.

09-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sh*t happens and then you move on.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-26-2011 at 03:26 PM.
09-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PENFRED Quote
I shoot RAW+ all the time. It's probably my old computer, but I find I can zip through the jpegs in full screen size very quickly, then pick out the ones that interest me for processing of their RAW counterparts in Lightroom. Also, it's sometimes interesting to see how the Pentax jpeg processed the RAW.

If you're shooting RAW already, the jpegs take very little extra space.
@ last a few people are getting to realize my point in here!
09-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
OP had misread the maybe not very well written manual... Since the OP lives in the US so probably has English (US version) as their first language, and gives their occupations as "freelance photographer / computer graphics / IT technician" I am slightly surprised.
and since you're living (where ?) with English as your xxx language, it's not quite easy to understand what you're talking about either! ;-) (how `bout moving to China, where the number of English speaking population precedes that of many originally English speaking one together!?)

09-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #35

Original Poster
Here are the pages, follow instructions on page 188, not page 189.
thanks for the great effort dear m`am / sir, but this won't help my issue either! (had read that part too.)

i want RAW+ 'by default' so that no matter how i readjust other settings on the K-7, or if i turn the camera off and on again, i'd still get the RAW+ mode ' ' ' ' ' ' BY DEAFULT ' ' ' ' ' ' no matter what, just like when i'm getting it on my K-5 or K-x and so on ...!

hope that makes my point clear, for the umpteen times! )
09-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
Actually... I think the manual is OK. The heading on the left hand page is 'Setting the file format'. The top heading on the right-hand page is 'Setting the RAW file format', and the lower one is 'Setting the RAW button function' (my emphasis).

Suspect the OP originally managed to skip the left-hand page and got fixated on the second part of the right-hand page.
no dear friend, i did not skip that page 188 really.

only, doing what is being said there, has not helped my situation either ...

the only thing i'm getting by majority of the replies in here, is that i'm dealing with mostly amateurs (advanced ones at its best!) and not professionals stuck in photographing serious events such as weddings or even serious amateur photography for that matter ...

thanks for trying to help anyway. highly appreciated.
PR
09-27-2011, 12:18 AM   #37

Original Poster
Here are the pages, follow instructions on page 188, not page 189.
thanks alot dear friend, but this won't help my situation either!

wanna know why, read my other replies here please ...

more thanks

PR
09-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #38

Original Poster
Sh*t happens and then you move on.
provided it's only a little sh*t and not an ocean of it!

09-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I can see a purpose for RAW+ if the user NEEDS to have instantly-available samples of works that will be refined later. Maybe to generate smallest-resolution JPGs as super-thumbnails, that sort of thing. Or if I normally developed RAWs into TIFs for further processing, the RAW+ JPGs might be handy mementos.

When I transitioned from JPG-only to RAW-only I passed through a RAW+ stage. I quickly learned that the JPGs generated in RAW development overwrote the RAW+ JPGs. I had no further use for superfluous JPGs. Why should I bother with RAW+?

To those of you who don't consider yourself novices and who do use RAW+, I'll ask: Why? What is your application?

fair enough dear friend, but K-7 never lets you keep RAW alone as the ***** default mode ***** either!

how can i do that: to keep the camera in that mode regardless of most other shooting modes that i may change the camera into, or especially when i turn the camera off and back on again, which requires me to make sure i press the RAW button again "or it will switch back to JPEG automatically" all by itself!

(K-5, K-x and K-r don't have that issue!)

any clues on that?

many thanks for the reply anyway.
PR
09-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by penties rider Quote
i want RAW+ 'by default' so that no matter how i readjust other settings on the K-7, or if i turn the camera off and on again, i'd still get the RAW+ mode ' ' ' ' ' ' BY DEAFULT ' ' ' ' ' ' no matter what, just like when i'm getting it on my K-5 or K-x and so on ...!
That's exactly what the manual tells you how to do. I fail to understand how you could set this properly on other models but not the K-7. They're all the same in this respect.

Everyone here has tried to spell this out for you, even with pictures. Unless there is some weird one of a kind bug in your particular K-7, you're just not applying the setting correctly.

The ONLY other thing I can think of is to check the memory setting on your K-7, and make sure you didn't uncheck the box to remember the file type. It's set Checked by default, and should stay that way, else your camera will forget any unchecked settings when you turn it off or pull the battery.

EDIT: Seems there's no discrete memory setting for file type, I must have imagined that. I suppose it could be grouped with one of the other settings, but I doubt it.

It's also totally unnecessary to post 7 times back to back, you can quote more than one person in a post if you wish.

Last edited by Philoslothical; 09-27-2011 at 01:13 AM.
09-27-2011, 12:53 AM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
That's exactly what the manual tells you how to do. I fail to understand how you could set this properly on other models but not the K-7. They're all the same in this respect.

Everyone here has tried to spell this out for you, even with pictures. Unless there is some weird one of a kind bug in your particular K-7, you're just not applying the setting correctly.

The ONLY other thing I can think of is to check the memory setting on your K-7, and make sure you didn't uncheck the box to remember the file type. It's set Checked by default, and should stay that way, else your camera will forget any unchecked settings when you turn it off or pull the battery.

It's also totally unnecessary to post 7 times back to back, you can quote more than one person in a post if you wish.
ok, sorry about that! my bad.

i don't post much in here, so i' don't know about such 'ritualistic' approaches to that kind of thing in the cyberspace! ) (only, i wish you would have criticized others who have done similar things already too!)

now, please read my posts again if you're really interested and concerned about this, or PLEASE stop posting here as you're barely helping anyway!

like majority of those who have replied, you have no idea what's being talked about in here, especially as regards to my problem with that 'RAW+ as default mode' feature that is not quite available on this camera.

many more thanks again

PR
09-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #42

Original Poster
an example of someone having a similar problem to mine on the Pentax K-7

The Software Life: Pentax K7 Flaw (IMO)

i hope this guy's English is more Martian than mine, thus not so murky!

best regards to everyone
PR

Last edited by penties rider; 09-27-2011 at 01:00 AM. Reason: typo
09-27-2011, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by "The Software Life: Pentax K7 Flaw (IMO)":
I shoot in RAW 100% of the time - it gives me a lot more control over the final images, and using Lightroom (or Picasa) it's just as easy to handle RAW as JPEG - there are no extra steps or things to deal with.

This means I can't use Green mode on the K7. It's not the end of the world because "Program" mode can also be used fully automatically.
There's your answer, bud. Set it to Program, and use it as automatic, instead of green mode. I wasn't aware of this idiosyncrasy of the K-7.

Maybe try to cut down on the sarcasm too, eh? People here are trying to help you.

EDIT: Turns out this is a well known issue, and the solution here is the same as that blog post. Use Program instead, it accomplishes the same thing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Green mode is for when you don't know what you are doing, P mode is the same as Green mode but lets you make adjustments.
It's quite simple, really.
If you had said which mode you were trying to use at the beginning of this thread, it might have been solved a lot sooner.

Last edited by Philoslothical; 09-27-2011 at 01:28 AM.
09-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
There's your answer, bud. Set it to Program, and use it as automatic, instead of green mode. I wasn't aware of this idiosyncrasy of the K-7.

Maybe try to cut down on the sarcasm too, eh? People here are trying to help you.

EDIT: Turns out this is a well known issue, and the solution here is the same as that blog post. Use Program instead, it accomplishes the same thing.

If you had said which mode you were trying to use at the beginning of this thread, it might have been solved a lot sooner.

dear mam / sir,

again, thanks for the great effort in trying to help me out in here, but AGAIN, you've barely grasped the main 'algorithm' in here much less to be able to lay out its flowchart properly, let alone to come up with a truly working solution to the problem! so, that's why your 'program' keeps crashing! (and seriously, i mean no sarcasm in here at all, but if you find it offensive enough, then so be it!)

and so have been the cases with most others' responses in here!

only few who understood it well, did sympathize with me that there's no -known- solution -as of yet- around this problem, which is the best response i've got to my question so far!

i know it already just as well that there's no workable solution around this particular problem of mine with this particular model of Pentax, yes, only, i was hoping maybe there's someone out there with some usable answer ...

so, thanks again for your kind cooperation in here, but if you're truly annoyed with my "sarcasm" in here, then, AGAIN, PLEASE stop posting, or continue reading below if you don't really value your own precious time:

same to a number of other guys who've been more sarcastic than enough themselves, only apparently not so tolerant enough to receive the same back in return!

many thanks to everybody posting and replying so far, but as for the future replies from anyone, if i find it inappropriate, the first thing i'll do, would be to keep my silence, and if they continue with such replies and repeated 'chat-like' messages among themselves again, i'll try to find a way to 'block / remove / report' them, the way people do in Facebook or similar so-called 'socializing' places!

i hope that makes my point clear in here!

cheers (with watered down beers all over the world today! :})
PR
09-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Nice thread.
Closed Thread