Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by penties rider Quote
PLEASE stop posting
Yeah, gladly. You have a viable workaround. Whether you choose to use it or to keep on complaining that you can't make your camera do something that it wasn't designed for is entirely your problem.

You have wasted everyone's time here.

09-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems pretty straight forward to me , as an owner of both a K-7 and a K-5. Raw is NOT AVAILABLE in Green (point n' shoot mode) If you wish to use Raw + as a default setting you must use a different shooting mode, as has been suggested earlier. I would also recommend P mode to you.

I have set my K-7 to take raw + (because I was trying to see what your problem is , I generally just shot in raw. ) In any of the semi auto modes (Av, Tv, Sv, P) or M mode I can shut the camera off and it comes back to life in Raw +. If I rotate the dial to 'green' the raw option disappears and the camera defaults to shooting in JPEG only. This is the Pentax version of the K.I.S.S principal in Green 'beginners mode'.

If I press the Raw button the camera cycles between RAW and RAW + because that is the way I have configured it. (Menu page 4, Raw button set the option to raw -> raw+ and disable the 'cancel after 1 shot' option.) The operation of the K-5 and the K-7 is IDENTICAL in this regard, but the menu items are slightly different. If, as you claim, you can do it on a K-5 you most certainly can do it on a K-7.

Does this help with your problem?

Last edited by wizofoz; 09-27-2011 at 03:14 PM.
09-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
It seems pretty straight forward to me , as an owner of both a K-7 and a K-5. Raw is NOT AVAILABLE in Green (point n' shoot mode) If you wish to use Raw + as a default setting you must use a different shooting mode, as has been suggested earlier. I would also recommend P mode to you.

I have set my K-7 to take raw + (because I was trying to see what your problem is , I generally just shot in raw. ) In any of the semi auto modes (Av, Tv, Sv, P) or M mode I can shut the camera off and it comes back to life in Raw +. If I rotate the dial to 'green' the raw option disappears and the camera defaults to shooting in JPEG only. This is the Pentax version of the K.I.S.S principal in Green 'beginners mode'.

If I press the Raw button the camera cycles between RAW and RAW + because that is the way I have configured it. (Menu page 4, Raw button set the option to raw -> raw+ and disable the 'cancel after 1 shot' option.) The operation of the K-5 and the K-7 is IDENTICAL in this regard, but the menu items are slightly different. If, as you claim, you can do it on a K-5 you most certainly can do it on a K-7.

You made me double check, yes, the K5 is like K7.

Philoslothical:
"You have wasted everyone's time here."

Well, this has made me revisit the owners manual and read up on stuff that I had forgotten, So, not a complete waste of time, at least not for me.

Cheers and carry on.
Mike.
09-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I meant by his refusal to adopt a viable workaround, and the lack of information that would have identified the issue 3 pages earlier.

I get the sense that we could explain exactly what wizofoz said above 30 times over and he'd still say "That doesn't fix it, I want a solution! Don't post!"

/facepalm

09-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I meant by his refusal to adopt a viable workaround, and the lack of information that would have identified the issue 3 pages earlier.

I get the sense that we could explain exactly what wizofoz said above 30 times over and he'd still say "That doesn't fix it, I want a solution! Don't post!"

/facepalm
We all do our best to help, sometimes it just is not meant to happen, for whatever reason

Cheers. Mike.
09-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #51

OK, so now that four pages later, the 'issue' seems to have been clarified, with several people really trying to help and getting somewhat abused in return...
I've got to admit, the first day or so with my new K5, I managed to 'lose' a few options in the menu system, due to the menus changing depending on the current mode (and some options) you are in - some options grey out, which makes sense, but some entire menu sections simply disappear entirely in green mode - I do 'get it,' it's by design so that someone in 'full green mode' isn't overwhelmed in the menus perhaps, but it can drive you nuts with 'I know I saw that option in here, where is it?!?'
It would be nice to be able to enable or disable display of even unchangeable items, and yes, I can completely see someone wanting to have the option of at least RAW+JPEG in 'full green mode.' It might be silly to 'enable extended menu options in green mode' as an option, but it's also a nearly free change, software-wise. It would be equally simply to 'reset green mode settings to default' as an option.

Sure, people can use P mode easily enough, but similarly, the above changes could also easily be made to the menu/options in 'full' green mode. I wouldn't expect the menu system to be completely different on the K-r other than enabling or disabling some options entirely, and changing values (for example, max image size/MP display value for different sensors), as it makes little $ sense as well as to users to have entirely different software for each model, so even if it's argued Green mode is only for newbies, the k-r is the entry level DSLR, and for 'free,' it wouldn't hurt to enable the possibility consistently. I'm betting the K-r (and K-x) probably act identically right now?

Oh well, not the end of the world, as stated, use P mode.

OP, you probably could have shortened this thread quite a bit if you were a little more clear in the original post...and seen a bit less 'distracting' posts if you didn't have such a chip/attitude with people who were actually trying to help. No one owed you a response at all, and if you agreed or not with the responses given or how people (mis-?)interpreted what you wrote, some civility might have done wonders.
09-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
OK, so now that four pages later, the 'issue' seems to have been clarified, with several people really trying to help and getting somewhat abused in return...
I've got to admit, the first day or so with my new K5, I managed to 'lose' a few options in the menu system, due to the menus changing depending on the current mode (and some options) you are in - some options grey out, which makes sense, but some entire menu sections simply disappear entirely in green mode - I do 'get it,' it's by design so that someone in 'full green mode' isn't overwhelmed in the menus perhaps, but it can drive you nuts with 'I know I saw that option in here, where is it?!?'
It would be nice to be able to enable or disable display of even unchangeable items, and yes, I can completely see someone wanting to have the option of at least RAW+JPEG in 'full green mode.' It might be silly to 'enable extended menu options in green mode' as an option, but it's also a nearly free change, software-wise. It would be equally simply to 'reset green mode settings to default' as an option.

Sure, people can use P mode easily enough, but similarly, the above changes could also easily be made to the menu/options in 'full' green mode. I wouldn't expect the menu system to be completely different on the K-r other than enabling or disabling some options entirely, and changing values (for example, max image size/MP display value for different sensors), as it makes little $ sense as well as to users to have entirely different software for each model, so even if it's argued Green mode is only for newbies, the k-r is the entry level DSLR, and for 'free,' it wouldn't hurt to enable the possibility consistently. I'm betting the K-r (and K-x) probably act identically right now?

Oh well, not the end of the world, as stated, use P mode.

OP, you probably could have shortened this thread quite a bit if you were a little more clear in the original post...and seen a bit less 'distracting' posts if you didn't have such a chip/attitude with people who were actually trying to help. No one owed you a response at all, and if you agreed or not with the responses given or how people (mis-?)interpreted what you wrote, some civility might have done wonders.

thanks for the great reply, pointing out certain other important issues as well, but sorry, you didn't get my point either!

do you have a K-7 too?

09-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote

good, someone with both cameras at last, so maybe you would understand my problem here!

now, can you get RAW+ or even RAW alone, (when already set as the 'default' mode of the K-7) back after you turn it on after having turned it off?

not a feature on K-7, but available on K-7 and those other guys. (guess it's available even on older models such as K10x too?)

thanks
PR
09-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

now, can you get RAW+ or even RAW alone, (when already set as the 'default' mode of the K-7) back after you turn it on after having turned it off?
Yes, just stay out of the Green mode. I almost never shoot in that mode BTW. P is my preferred mode, closely followed by M.
10-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok, great, thanks

things have gotten out of hand here, badly (i was even banned by the admin to post here for a couple of days!)

but,

for those who're still interested in replying, please do the following, maybe you'll understand my situation in here:

1. set the Pentax K-7's file type to RAW+
(doesn't matter which shooting mode of the camera you're in as long as it lets you do that!)

2. look through the viewfinder / top LCD panel to make sure the mode is set

3. maybe shoot a number of test pictures and then recheck everything to make sure the mode works ok (takes a RAW image as well as JPEG of the same subject)

4. do as in step 2 above to make sure the camera is still in that mode: RAW+

5. turn the camera off, wait a second or two, then turn it back on again

6. go to step 2 above

is the RAW+ mode still on and active?

not so in my case!

however quite so with Pentax K-5 or K-x, the other ones that i have ...

am i clear in my point or am i still talking gibberish?

please respond if you have done the above, on a Pentax K-7

thanks
PR

Last edited by penties rider; 10-07-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: typo
10-08-2011, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

You are being economical with the truth. You haven't mentioned that you are using Green mode. You have been told the answer several times - you can't do that in Green mode.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/154952-...ml#post1662327

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/90880-no-raw-green-mode-k-7-a.html
10-08-2011, 05:36 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yo Penties.. I have a K-7 so i did the tests like this...

Since my K-7 is already set to RAW only, i started with that. Switch camera on , RAW shown in INFO at start up. Take photo, turn off K-7, turn on K-7, RAW still shown in INFO.

Switch mode dial to GREEN. RAW now disappeared and JPEG shown in INFO. Take photo, turn off K-7, change mode dial to M, turn on K-7, RAW shown in INFO

Go to menu, change file format to RAW+ , take photo in M mode, turn off K-7, turn on K-7, RAW + still shown in INFO. Change mode dial to GREEN. RAW now disappeared and JPEG shown in INFO.

Take photo, turn off K-7, turn mode dial to M, RAW + now shown in INFO

If your camera does not do the above, then get yourself and your camera down to Pentax repair service centre
10-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Rod Serling wasn't home

And maybe get yaself down to the attitude service centre and get a makeover
10-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Double post edited

Last edited by Squier; 10-09-2011 at 05:31 PM.
10-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Edit: Mistaken identity foul up - my fault.

ok, great, thanks
things have gotten out of hand here, badly (i was even banned by the admin to post here for a couple of days!)
but,
for those who're still interested in replying, please do the following, maybe you'll understand my situation in here:
1. set the Pentax K-7's file type to RAW+
(doesn't matter which shooting mode of the camera you're in as long as it lets you do that!)
2. look through the viewfinder / top LCD panel to make sure the mode is set
3. maybe shoot a number of test pictures and then recheck everything to make sure the mode works ok (takes a RAW image as well as JPEG of the same subject)
4. do as in step 2 above to make sure the camera is still in that mode: RAW+
5. turn the camera off, wait a second or two, then turn it back on again
6. go to step 2 above
is the RAW+ mode still on and active?
not so in my case!
however quite so with Pentax K-5 or K-x, the other ones that i have ...
am i clear in my point or am i still talking gibberish?
please respond if you have done the above, on a Pentax K-7

thanks
PR
PR,

I'm still learning to use my own K-7, but I followed your steps and RAW+ stayed active - just as it's supposed to.

Squier is right: I think you need more help than you can get on Pentax Forums. Good luck.

Last edited by .a.t.; 10-10-2011 at 12:47 AM. Reason: clarification
Closed Thread