Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
I'm still learning to use my own K-7, but I followed your steps and RAW+ stayed active - just as it's supposed to.

Squier is right: I think you need more help than you can get on Pentax Forums. Good luck.
What mode are you using? Green? If not, try it in Green which apparently is what PR is using.

10-10-2011, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
What mode are you using?
M. Most of my lenses are manual, so I usually keep it on M. In Green, I can't use RAW at all.

PR's question has been answered repeatedly. But, as a K-7 newb, for my own benefit I'll recap what I think I know:

RAW files are not available in Green mode on the Pentax K-7 dslr. Period.

RAW or RAW+ files are available as defaults in modes other than Green on the Pentax K-7 dslr.

The Pentax K-7 dslr's RAW button is meant to be used as a temporary convenience and isn't intended as a replacement for default menu settings.

If one's Pentax K-7 dslr is unable to set RAW or RAW+ files as defaults in modes other than Green, the camera is malfunctioning and should be sent for service. Digital Camera Repair | C.R.I.S. A+ BBB Rating
(I haven't been thrilled with CRIS' service, but they seem to be the -default- Pentax repair center for the U.S. Are there alternatives?)

Finally, Pentax Forums members are knowledgeable and willing to help people who are genuinely seeking advice about the Pentax K-7 dslr - and other topics.

Last edited by .a.t.; 10-10-2011 at 01:19 PM.
10-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #63
Veteran Member

You nailed it. Everyone seems to get it, except for the thread starter (here's to hoping he has, finally). You're right on every point though, and it's a good summary of the thread.
10-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #64
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is like a bad penny.

10-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #65

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
We all do our best to help, sometimes it just is not meant to happen, for whatever reason

Cheers. Mike.
no dear friend: i barely use that mode really!

and i don't have that problem with the K-5 even if i do switch to the Green mode temporarily, since the K-5 (as well as the K-x) will retain RAW+ as soon as you switch from the Green mode back to other modes that do support RAW+ anyway!

the point is, K-7 does not retain RAW+ as soon as you switch modes or turn the camera off and you have to keep it in mind to turn that feature on all the time!

i don't want to have to memorize that and prefer the K-7 to act and behave just like the other two guys in that respect.

thanks
PR

ps > where in the whole world did i ever even refer to the Green mode in any of my posts here, that amazes me!?

Last edited by penties rider; 10-10-2011 at 04:07 PM.
10-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Then your only choice is the Pentax Service repair centre. Thats it, end of story. There's little point in carrying on with this, since you havent found your answer
10-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #67

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
OK, so now that four pages later, the 'issue' seems to have been clarified, with several people really trying to help and getting somewhat abused in return...
I've got to admit, the first day or so with my new K5, I managed to 'lose' a few options in the menu system, due to the menus changing depending on the current mode (and some options) you are in - some options grey out, which makes sense, but some entire menu sections simply disappear entirely in green mode - I do 'get it,' it's by design so that someone in 'full green mode' isn't overwhelmed in the menus perhaps, but it can drive you nuts with 'I know I saw that option in here, where is it?!?'
It would be nice to be able to enable or disable display of even unchangeable items, and yes, I can completely see someone wanting to have the option of at least RAW+JPEG in 'full green mode.' It might be silly to 'enable extended menu options in green mode' as an option, but it's also a nearly free change, software-wise. It would be equally simply to 'reset green mode settings to default' as an option.

Sure, people can use P mode easily enough, but similarly, the above changes could also easily be made to the menu/options in 'full' green mode. I wouldn't expect the menu system to be completely different on the K-r other than enabling or disabling some options entirely, and changing values (for example, max image size/MP display value for different sensors), as it makes little $ sense as well as to users to have entirely different software for each model, so even if it's argued Green mode is only for newbies, the k-r is the entry level DSLR, and for 'free,' it wouldn't hurt to enable the possibility consistently. I'm betting the K-r (and K-x) probably act identically right now?

Oh well, not the end of the world, as stated, use P mode.

OP, you probably could have shortened this thread quite a bit if you were a little more clear in the original post...and seen a bit less 'distracting' posts if you didn't have such a chip/attitude with people who were actually trying to help. No one owed you a response at all, and if you agreed or not with the responses given or how people (mis-?)interpreted what you wrote, some civility might have done wonders.

thanks dear friend for the great reply (probably the best i've received here so far!)

rechecked my K-7, still the same problem!

the only way to set it to work in RAW+ mode (following the setting in the related submenu) is to constantly recheck thru the VF or the LCD panel and if it's not on, press the RAW button on camera's body left side of the lens.

rather a hassle when shooting in situations where there's no time for the photographer to readjust everything but for the exposure ...

one more thing: i have not installed the frimware upgrade on this camera btw!

had bad experiences doing so with another K-7, which i had to return and get this one instead.

and since there's no known method of rolling back the firmware (not known to me at least) i'm scared of going that way and end up in even worse places!

if it's not broken (or badly broken at least in my case) then don't fix it!

thanks again
PR
10-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #68

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by penties rider Quote
good, someone with both cameras at last, so maybe you would understand my problem here!

now, can you get RAW+ or even RAW alone, (when already set as the 'default' mode of the K-7) back after you turn it on after having turned it off?

not a feature on K-7, but available on K-7 and those other guys. (guess it's available even on older models such as K10x too?)

thanks
PR

hi dear friend

thanks for the reply

since you're also one of those who have constantly referred to me using the Green mode (which i barely do if at all!) then will you please take the trouble of pointing me out to any of my posts that i did mention the Green mode in any manner whatsoever?

thanks, and also thanks (was it you?) to mention the "attitude department" somewhere ...

best cheers
PR

10-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #69
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
There's little point in carrying on with this, since you havent found your answer
I agree!
Closed Thread