Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
want RAW+ along with JPG on Pentax K-7

hi all

yes, i know whenever i press the RAW button on the side of the Pentax K-7 camera, i'll have RAW and JPG images of the same shot alongside each other captured and saved to the memory card, but the point is, unlike K-x / K-r and K-5, the K-7 doesn't let me have that option by default, which means if i forget to press the RAW button again next time i turn the camera on, then i'd be getting JPG images only!

and that is indeed a drag when shooting fast paced events such as weddings.

anyone knows of a way to overcome that problem, preferably aside from using a firmware upgrade, as i've had issues with that option on an 'old' K-7 before ...

i'd certainly be ready to go for a firmware upgrade as well, as long as there is a way to roll back the new firmware to the old one in case i'd end up with disasters ... (and that is in fact yet another question of mine: how to roll back firmware upgrades?)

any kind of enlightening feedback would be highly appreciated.

many thanks.

best

08-10-2011, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I don't own a K-7, so I can't answer that, but as far as firmware goes you can usually flash a old version onto a device just the same way as the new one, provided you have a copy of the old version you want to install.

There are always sources on the net for obsolete software, so hunt around and find a copy of the firmware you have now, and keep it as insurance if it makes you feel better. I don't think you'll ever need it though. Usually if something goes wrong with the flashing process, the device ends up bricked (but this is very rare! make sure the battery is full when flashing), and you wouldn't be able to roll back the failed attempt anyway.

It sounds worse than it is. If there's a more recent firmware version, and not masses of people screaming about it, it's likely perfectly safe to use - provided you follow the instructions carefully.
08-10-2011, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

You can save it as a default via the File Format option in the Rec. Mode 1 menu.

Go to File Format, you'll see three options, JPEG, RAW and RAW+.

Use the four-way control to navigate down to RAW+, press 'Ok'. Job done.

It's in the manual, page 188
08-10-2011, 03:41 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
It's in the manual
It's incredible the number of people who don't read the manual, but everything is in the manual, it's my bible

08-10-2011, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by penties rider Quote
Whenever i press the RAW button on the side of the Pentax K-7 camera, i'll have RAW and JPG images of the same shot alongside each other captured and saved to the memory card But unlike the K-x / K-r and K-5, the K-7 doesn't let me have that option by default, which means if i forget to press the RAW button again next time i turn the camera on, then i'd be getting JPG images only! Anyone knows of a way to overcome that problem?
Simplified that for ya

I'm not sure what you mean by "it won't let me have that option by default", but have you tried changing the capture type from JPEG to RAW+? Hit menu and it should be one of the first options on the screen.
08-18-2011, 03:50 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
It's incredible the number of people who don't read the manual, but everything is in the manual, it's my bible
Too true!! BUT - the manual has 328 pages!!! Just a bit of light reading before you go to bed.

I tend to look at the pages I need but periodically on this and other Pentax sites I learn a new 'trick'. A recent one I picked up was "Catch-in Focus Mode" on page 128. Quite useful - never knew it was there.

Under "How to take Pictures" it says "Attach a proper Lens"! Wonder what an improper lens is?????

Cheers

John
08-18-2011, 04:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenty1 Quote
Wonder what an improper lens is?????
Simple, anything other than a proper lens.

Jason

08-20-2011, 02:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenty1 Quote
Too true!! BUT - the manual has 328 pages!!! Just a bit of light reading before you go to bed.
Download the PDF version. A quick search on RAW+ and you would have had your answer. I keep my paper one in the camera bag and either turn the corner or put in a Post-it on useful pages. It also has an Index which has an entry for the page you need.
08-29-2011, 01:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok,

thanks everyone for your kind replies, especially a couple of good advices on how to upgrade the firmware without a fear of losing the old one.

however, my problem is that i have the original v1.0 firmware in the camera! where can i find that one for a rollback in the future if and when needed?

and for the RAW+JPG thing, alright, i blame it on my own bad post as i can see that barely anyone here responded well enough to that!

i'm gonna put it in here again but hopefully in a more meaningful phrasing:

on a Pentax K-5, as well as on Pentax K-x and K-r, you can take both formats, RAW and JPG at the same time, all the time, if you want to, but on Pentax K-7, the story is different, totally and badly different:

on K-7, you can do that only when you press the RAW button on the camera body's front, to the left of the lens but you can never set the camera in a way that it does it forever, ie, just like the K-5 and those other guys: for as long as you want the camera to do that for you, until, for example, you set the camera differently again and want it to take only one of two formats for you.

so, on K-7, it's rather cumbersome if you forget to push the RAW button to get both formats recorded, which i often do, and get only the JPG ones, not both JPG + RAW!

right?

i hope my point is now as clear as what the K-7 manual itself says it too: it can't be done! (yes, believe it or not dear aurele, i've been reading technical manuals of almost everything since even before you were born!) ;-)

in fact, since this was a drag on the K-7, Pentax decided to let K-5 not suffer from that truly bad shortcoming later when manufacturing the latter ...

i'm sure this can be done on K-7 too, via firmware upgrade or something along those lines but is there such a solution?

and please respond if you do get the question, if not, just let me know and i'll try to put it differently!

many thanks
PR

Last edited by penties rider; 08-29-2011 at 02:05 AM. Reason: corrections
08-29-2011, 02:46 AM   #10

I don't really get where you're going with this. JohnX told you how it's done and that's how it works on my and every other K-7.
08-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #11

Totally agree with you Mr B. I tend to shoot RAW only but in the past have used RAW+ as described by JohnX and it stays that way until you change the setting to RAW or JPG.

Cheers....John
08-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

ok,
<snip>
i hope my point is now as clear as what the K-7 manual itself says it too: it can't be done!
<snip>
How about you provide a reference to the page in the manual you are reading? I use a K7 and had no problem setting it to take RAW+ for each and every shot.
09-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
How about you provide a reference to the page in the manual you are reading? I use a K7 and had no problem setting it to take RAW+ for each and every shot.
dear cats_five

tanks for the reply.

please go to page 189 of the K-7 user manual.

then @ the bottom of the page, you'll find a small table that tells you about my problem with this otherwise great camera.

the table looks almost like this:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The recording format returns to the original file format after a picture taken. (default setting)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The setting is canceled when the following operations are performed.

- the RAW button is pressed again
- the > or MENU button is pressed
- the main switch turned off
- the mode dial is turned

as you can see here, the RAW plus JPG option can not remain the K-7's default mode, while with the K-5 and the K-x / K-r cameras, this option can be the default mode of the system if the photographer wants it so.

and that is what i want: to take both formats together all the time! without any compromises of any kind.

in fact, right now, my K-5 and K-x are set to that mode forever, while with the K-7, i have to keep remembering to switch the RAW button back on again after any of those steps mentioned in the table above is taken, which is hard (impossible for me in fast shooting conditions) to remember really ...

that is why when designing the K-5, Pentax engineers removed this shortcoming and this was reported in some of the K-5 reviews as well as it had been criticized in some of the K-7 reviews back when it came first out.

i hope i'm clearer in what i'm saying / looking for in here now:

how can i make the Pentax K-7 camera act exactly like K-5 and those other guys (K-x / K-r) in this particular respect?

i'm guessing there must be a firmware solution to this, or at least i'm hoping there might be one ...

cheers
PR
09-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

and that is what i want: to take both formats together all the time! without any compromises of any kind.
You have the answer already:

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
You can save it as a default via the File Format option in the Rec. Mode 1 menu.

Go to File Format, you'll see three options, JPEG, RAW and RAW+.

Use the four-way control to navigate down to RAW+, press 'Ok'. Job done.

It's in the manual, page 188
That's all you need to set, and you won't need to use the raw button function at all.
09-19-2011, 12:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
That's all you need to set, and you won't need to use the raw button function at all.
Too bad we can't then reprogram the RAW button to do something useful!
Closed Thread