Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
istDS problem

When shooting in "Manual" mode:

No matter the circumstances ( day, sun, cloudy, etc) the reading is stuck on 30" f5.6 and a flashing 3.0. If I take a picture the lens stays open like the time shot.....but never closes until I turn the camera off.

Also, there is no way to change the 3.0 setting by using the e-dial either by itself or holding the Av button.

This all worked OK until about three months ago.

Auto works just fine

08-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I have not experienced this with my DS but it sounds like an electrical issue. The first thing I would try is to "re-boot" the camera by taking the batteries out for 24 hours or longer. This has helped similar issues with the earlier DS & DL cameras.

Tim
08-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but - do you shoot in manual mode often and understand how it works? The 3.0 wouldn't be expected to go down unless you either chamge the shutter speed or the aperture to let in less light, and both of those woukd require you to turn the wheel the opposite direction from what you might think if you are think of the 3.0 as being like exposure compemsation in all other modes. That is, you'd need to tur the dial to the right, not the left.
08-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, Atupdate! I have a few hours to go.... hope it works!

08-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Mark!

The flywheel is part of the problem....doesn't work no matter the direction you turn it, or whether or not you hold down the Av button. Waiting to see if Atupdate's suggestion works.../.
08-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooneym Quote
Thanks Mark!

The flywheel is part of the problem....doesn't work no matter the direction you turn it, or whether or not you hold down the Av button. Waiting to see if Atupdate's suggestion works.../.
If the problem is the flywheel, you may need to squirt a little contact cleaner into it. I've used this solution on many clock radios.

Tim