Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wierd effects in pic - CPL?

I took this shot last week and got a weird effect with these zig zag lines... It only happened on a few of the shots. K100D, Promaster 70-300 zoom, Promaster circular polarizer attached. Could the CPL have caused this? Other shots with the CPL turned out fine. Maybe the angle between lens and sun was just wrong?

Any thoughts?

File has been resized to 30% of original in Irfanview. No other processing done on it.

Jim

Last edited by RoxnDox; 02-21-2012 at 12:25 PM.
08-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I took this shot last week and got a weird effect with these zig zag lines... It only happened on a few of the shots. K100D, Promaster 70-300 zoom, Promaster circular polarizer attached. Could the CPL have caused this? Other shots with the CPL turned out fine. Maybe the angle between lens and sun was just wrong?

Any thoughts?

File has been resized to 30% of original in Irfanview. No other processing done on it.

Jim
Government jamming your attempt to photograph military vessel?

Steve
08-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Did you shoot RAW or JPG? The regular shape of the artifacts looks like it's some problem with the sensor / processing chips.

Maybe the radar from the ships was disturbing your camera, but I have never heard about that happening
08-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That's very odd. Definitely not the CPL. Looks like something is interfering with some software. Not anything on the sensor, not the filter, and that only leaves the software left. I'd be surprised if it where the ships radar causing that but I do not see any other possibilities.

08-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like stevebrot said.
Easy fix is to stop taking pictures of things that are radiating high power RF.
08-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
They were shot in JPG mode, max quality setting. This was in a parade of ships for the Seattle Seafair Fleet Week, so no high-power radar transmissions would have been called for that day, and regular ship's navigational radar is not very high power... And, of course, never had any issues with any other ships on the Sound. The ships weren't in any sort of operational mode, just doing a parade... And only a couple of the photos turned out like this. The rest are fine.

Guess it just gets filed under the "No Freakin' Idea Why" category...

Jim
08-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That is light reflecting off sensor back through the lens, off the rear surface of the CP, through the lens again onto the sensor. The magnified image seen is light diffracting around the lines of the polarizer lenses, here they are crossed. This is seen with tiny apertures, which may also contribute to diffraction effects.

08-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
That is light reflecting off sensor back through the lens, off the rear surface of the CP, through the lens again onto the sensor. The magnified image seen is light diffracting around the lines of the polarizer lenses, here they are crossed. This is seen with tiny apertures, which may also contribute to diffraction effects.
Thanks, that sounds reasonable... It was kinda pointing into the sun,

Jim
08-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Aperture was f13 - not that small... But why ISO 1600?!!!!

Where you using any filters?
08-15-2011, 04:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
I do not know the K100D but just to through another possible cause into the ring for consideration:
If the cam has a anti-aliasing function could this have caused it by way of a software malfunction? (Corrupt file) But then again it's hard to imagine that this malfunctioning software will do this sort of thing intermittently. Still, anything is possible I guess.

Otherwise I think it could be the dreaded self-mutating Mongolian basket weave virus I hope not otherwise your cam will turn into a basket shopping bag one day. And then it's a basket case. (Sorry for the lousy humor, I can't help it)

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 08-15-2011 at 04:59 AM.
08-15-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Otherwise I think it could be the dreaded self-mutating Mongolian basket weave virus I hope not otherwise your cam will turn into a basket shopping bag one day. And then it's a basket case. (Sorry for the lousy humor, I can't help it)

Greetings
No - It's the Hong Kong herring bone virus.
08-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Aperture was f13 - not that small... But why ISO 1600?!!!!

Where you using any filters?
ISO was 1600 because I had forgotten to reset it after our trip thru the Seattle Aquarium just before the Harbor Tour... One of those "Oops!" things... No filters other than the CPL...

QuoteQuote:
QuoteQuote:
No - It's the Hong Kong herring bone virus.
Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Jim
08-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Military mind control... oooh-noo! Yep, looks like EMI... or mind control. Definitely not the CPL unless I was told to say that by mind control signals hidden in your image?
08-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks to me to be RFI (EMI). There looks to be a lot of high power radar around you. If a sweep hit you at the time you are taking a photo (the higher the ISO the more sensitive to this it would be) you could get some thing like this. If it is only in this one photo then that is my guess if it is in all your photos then the camera has a problem.

DAZ
08-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Last time I saw anything like that effect was when I had a poor signal on my analogue TV. Looks like RF interference to me, but I've never heard of it happening in a digital photo.