Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-7 - [Custom] Menu 36 - SEL Question

There's no mention of this in the Manual because it was part of an update.
I searched (maybe not hard enough) I found Adam's replay to a K-7 Update and it had a pdf link to the new Custom Menu 36 for the K-7.

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/pdf/how_to_operate_k-7.pdf

I tried both, but I don't quite understand what are the differance, nor notice any differance.

I use SEL alot so i can pick where I want to focus whatever it is i'm trying to frame.

Can anyone explain it to me.

Thanks in advance.

08-11-2011, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K10D/K20D has two buttons:
  • OK (in the middle of the 4-way dial)
  • Fn
In order to activate one of four functions, you had to press the Fn button and the corresponding 4-way controller direction.

On its own, the 4-way controller would move the selected AF point (if in SEL mode).

The K-7/K-5 have one button only:
  • OK/Fn combo button (in the middle of the 4-way dial)
On its own, the 4-way controller would activate one of four functions as labelled on the four-way controller. In order to move the selected AF point (if in SEL mode), you now have to first press OK.

Unsurprisingly, the user reaction was pretty strong (it led to many user errors from people knowing the K10D/K20D).

The custom setting 36 was added to address this.

It switches between the new (K-7, default "1") and old (K20D, "2") behaviour. In the old (compatible) behaviour, you have to press OK to emulate the effect of the Fn button. On its own, the 4-way controller would then move the selected AF point (if in SEL mode) rather than activate a function.

If you are new to Pentax, it is probably best to leave the K-7/K-5 at its default setting. Except if you always move the AF point around.
08-11-2011, 04:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is exactly as Falconeye said, I find it frustrating to press OK before adjusting focus point, so I have it at 2. Now I have to press ok, for changing forexample timer mode.
08-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Except if you always move the AF point around.
Who doesn't?

Two of the four four-way controller functions are irrelevant for RAW shooters and the other two (drive mode and flash control) rarely need to be used (at least the way I shoot) while I move the AF point around on almost every shot.

So the new alternative behaviour is the only one that will make sense to me (as soon as I'll get a K-5, or better ).

08-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the great explaination, it makes sense now didn't notice that in "2" that the 4-way stays in that SEL mode before.

Feels easier change where to focus, now.

Thank you so much =D