Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #1

K20 monitor distortion

I have recently experienced an issue with my K20 when viewing a photo on the monitor. If I take a picture which has a horizontal line in it, such as the trim on a vehicle or the siding on a house. When I view it on the monitor the line appears not as it should but a step up then a step down continually to the end of the straight line (can't think of another way to explain it).

When I view the same photo on a TV the same scene appears. This is not the case when I upload the pictures to my iMack. Everything appears normal.

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

08-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
So it sound like the preview screen on the camera is looking like it has the "jaggies" or very pixelated? This is not unusual if its just fine jaggies as the resolution of your lcd screen is not as high as the resolution of your image. If you zoom the preview on that detail and it looks worse, then there might be an serious issue such as the processing chip/engine of the camera is not working well for some reason. Normally the image might look low in detail for a moment and then the image jumps to greater detail... image engine is number crunching. If this effect is truly slow, then it is possible the flash card is faulty.
08-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for this. When I zoom the problem is corrected. I am still wondering why it shows up on the TV as "jaggies when displayed and not the computer? Your comment on the faulty card has got me remembering that I too had a problem with some pictures, the message "this image cannot be displayed" with a black screen appeared. It is a ScanDisk Ultra, 8GB one that I purchased over a year ago and only put it in the camera to use on a recent trip. Do you think if I try reformatting it might correct the problem?
08-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Oh TV. Is this a HDTV? Are you using an HDMI or A/V (RCA) cable? On a old TV (NTSC) format, the screen resolution is low and so the Jaggies are like the Rockies. If you mean a HDTV then the thought of if you unit is mis-detecting the source and defaulting to a low-res. Your computer monitor is 720 or 900 or 1024 or 1080 or 1200 or 1900 lines or resolution... or more that a old TV... I hope I didn't confuse the question?

Oh the SanDisk Ultra... Are you up to date on firmware updates? One did come out about correcting compatibility issues with certain types of SDHC cards... 8GB and higher.

08-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
If you are referring to a firmware up date on the K20, I did it recently. The TV used for viewing was an HD, the type of cable was an RCA. The other interesting result was, we tried the ScanDisk Ultra Ⅱ SDHC card in my brother's Pentax point & shoot camera and got the same results. That certainly reflects a card problem.

Regards
PentaxForums.com
08-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Yep. Good investigating. By the way, did you get the SanDisk Ultra from a warehouse store? I had one go bad out of nowhere and talk to a few other customers while stand around and they reported similar issues. It was the Costco chain here in New England. One symptom was longer than normal 'Write' times. The other three I purchased the same day are still working fine.
08-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
I bought it from Staples here in Cranbrook. Unfortunately I have had it for approximately eighteen months, so I guess I'll just write this one off. Will have to think twice before I purchase another ScanDisk. Got any thoughts on other brands which are of top quality?

08-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Will have to think twice before I purchase another ScanDisk. Got any thoughts on other brands which are of top quality?
Assuming you mean SanDisk, it is one of the top brands and is usually the first one somebody recommends. The brand is not the problem. I have never had a card problem with Lexar, SanDisk, or Transcend, howver.
08-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
My mistake it is SanDisk, thanks for all the input.