Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 04:03 AM   #1

format the SD card directly Pentax KX

Buongiorno a tutti!

mi sono appena iscritto e spero di aver postato nella sezione corretta.

Vi chiedo una cosa banale:

ho 2 schede SD della SanDisk da 4gb, non ho mai riscontrato problemi fino a quando dopo aver cancellato pił volte la memory direttamente dal mio mac, le schede "vuote" avevano un max di capienza di un solo gb.
Mi hanno detto di formattare le schede, cosa che non ho mai fatto prima, direttamente dalla Pentax K-x.
L'aiuto che vi chiedo sta proprio qui: dal menu non trovo dove o come si fa a formattare la scheda.
Potete darmi una dritta?

un grazie in anticipo.

Thomas

08-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Always format the SD cards on the camera, never use the computer to delete or format them.

The manual says that you need to go to your setup menu page 4. The format command is there.
08-12-2011, 05:34 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Always format the SD cards on the camera, never use the computer to delete or format them.

The manual says that you need to go to your setup menu page 4. The format command is there.
Why should he (or we) ALWAYS format in Camera? I routinely delete and format in my computer. Every once in a while I format the card in the camera, just for the heck of it. Am I doing something wrong?

P.S. I use a K10D
08-12-2011, 06:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Why should he (or we) ALWAYS format in Camera? I routinely delete and format in my computer. Every once in a while I format the card in the camera, just for the heck of it. Am I doing something wrong?

P.S. I use a K10D
I guess a format is a format. However, when you format the card in your computer there might be occasions that you could chose the wrong type of format designed for different Operating Systems (OS) such as NTFS for Windows, MacOS Extended for Mac, ext2/ext3 for Linux. etc. that could make the card unreadable by your camera.

When formating in your camera, you are sure that everything is done as it should. Furthermore, some camera might add additional system files / folder structures right after the format for whatever purposes while it's not done when formating in your computer.

In conclusion, to be safe - format in your camera.

Last edited by ducdao; 08-12-2011 at 07:32 AM.
08-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've always formatted my cards in the computer and have never had a problem with it. I've actually had my computer prompt me to format my card before it would read it after formatting it in the camera. I just find the computer does a more through job at formatting than the camera does.
08-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I found that most SD cards you buy nowadays are ready to use with FAT32 format which is most common in small devices such as camera. I recently bought a Lexar 32GB class-10 card and use it right away without having any problem. I also don't see anything wrong with formatting the card on the computer which usually have more robust tools to troubleshoot in case something happen.
08-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been taught to always format the card in the camera and frankly to do it often. The reason given for this was to ensure that you would not have problems with them. While I'm happy to hear that others have not had problems formatting with a computer, I'll stick to my rule, format on the camera.
08-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
I just find the computer does a more through job at formatting than the camera does.
Formatting will do (probably) one of the two: setting up a filesystem (from scratch) on the card or clearing the root directory and FAT on the card while keeping the format type and cluster size.
There is always a chance Windows (or whatever OS) will format the card according to its own preset preference. It's also possible the camera would like slightly different settings (such as a smaller/bigger cluster size).

My two cents? Most of the time it will not matter, but if one wants to be on the safe side -> he will format with the camera.

Some technical reading.

08-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I don't presume to know more than the Pentax engineers who recommend the card be formatted in the camera. Many of the problems encountered here with cards are the result of not being formatted at all, or not in the camera, or in another camera. And yes, the in camera format installs system signatures for that camera. To do otherwise is foolhardy.
08-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I have been taught to always format the card in the camera and frankly to do it often. The reason given for this was to ensure that you would not have problems with them. While I'm happy to hear that others have not had problems formatting with a computer, I'll stick to my rule, format on the camera.
I disagree with "do it often". In a decade's experience with all manner of memory cards in various digital cameras, I've found it necessary to reformat less than a half-dozen times -- usually because of my own errors.

I build a common directory structure and move-files script onto each card so my computers know where to put images, and how to rename them. Constant reformatting, besides being unneeded, would be a minor pain, as after each reformat, I would need to rebuild those. Not gonna happen.

Is there anything in your user manual that says, REFORMAT OFTEN ?? Nope. Don't bother. If I experienced more problems, I might include CHKDSK /F in my move-files script, to check for and fix bad sectors. But that's just for paranoia. Don't bother.
08-15-2011, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I disagree with "do it often".
I disagree with your disagreement
Formatting is less 'invasive' process, quicker and leaves all the files headers intact (so it's easier to recover data if something goes wrong)
SD cards have a limited number of cycles (ca. 100 000). When you delete the file you have to access each file header individually and delete it. With formatting you're only deleting file index from the card and save on number of read-write cycles, extending life of the card.
Formatting can also remove any underlying problems in the file structure on card.
So I always copy files on pc and format later on camera.

Mind you. For most of us deleting or formatting makes no real difference but we shouldn't be afraid of formatting.
From what I read formatting won't work for you (unique file structure) and deleting won't work for me (time consuming).
I guess, taking into consideration availability and price of SD cards it does not matter what one does.
08-16-2011, 05:37 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by icejam Quote
When you delete the file you have to access each file header individually and delete it.
I think you're only modifying the pointers from the FAT. As opposed to clearing all the FAT when formatting.
QuoteOriginally posted by icejam Quote
I guess, taking into consideration availability and price of SD cards it does not matter what one does.
+1
08-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I build a common directory structure and move-files script onto each card so my computers know where to put images, and how to rename them.
I would like to hear more about this! Perhaps another article by you, similar to the cheap macro article, with some good instructions.
08-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I would like to hear more about this! Perhaps another article by you, similar to the cheap macro article, with some good instructions.
I used to do that with a batch file of DOS commands. When I got Photoshop CS5, Bridge has an import utility that:
  • converts PEFs from the SD card to renamed DNGs
  • puts those DNGs in one place for processing
  • copies the PEFs to another hard drive for archiving
I'm only using some of its functions. Yeah, it's not really worth the CS5 price just for that.

PEFs used to be inconvenient. These days I use PEFs for archiving because they are inconvenient. I know instantly that a PEF is the archived version, and nothing opens it or changes it accidentally.