Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K100d Super Flash Help

I have a k100d Super which is around 2 years old. I allowed a friend to borrow it on his trip to Europe. I've decided to get back into what I love... photography (I've been on hiatus for a few months because of college). There seems to be an issue when dealing with the external flash. It says 999 on the upper LCD screen (I assume thats the amount of pictures on the sd card?) and will not change regardless of how many pictures I take (my sd card is actually completely clear). It seems that the camera will not take a picture when the flash it up. However, when the flash is in the closed position the camera fires like normal. Is there any way to fix this issue without going to a shop and costing $$$. I really appreciate the help!

08-13-2011, 04:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Is the flash fully charged before trying to take the shot?

Allowing shooting when the flash is charging is in the Custom Setting menu ' Release when Charging'. If set to 'Off', (which is the default), the camera won't operate until the flash is fully charged.

That said, I don't like the sound of the 'stuck at 999'. Try another SD card.
08-13-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
That said, I don't like the sound of the 'stuck at 999'. Try another SD card.
It is normal with 4gb and larger cards when shooting JPG, just means you have over 1000 pictures left. It will start counting normally when you get under 1000.
08-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by evan_kat Quote
It says 999 on the upper LCD screen (I assume thats the amount of pictures on the sd card?) and will not change regardless of how many pictures I take (my sd card is actually completely clear).
That's why I'm concerned, although I agree that if the SD card is huge it could be some while before the possible number of shots falls below 1000.

Don't think that's what's Kat's saying though.

08-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
That's why I'm concerned, although I agree that if the SD card is huge it could be some while before the possible number of shots falls below 1000.

Don't think that's what's Kat's saying though.
With my 4gb card, I think I have to take about 600 before it drops to 998, remember the K100D is a 6mp camera.
08-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I am going to try and scourer for a new sd card to see if that'll do the trick. I currently have a 4gb sd card. Basically the camera won't take a picture if the flash is in the open mode, while it will release the shutter when the flash is down. Regardless of the flash positioning, the lcd still reads 999. Thank you once again... I'm feeling like I'm going to have to take it to a shop.
08-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I'm guessing the flash is just broken and the camera is probably set to not fire if the flash isn't charged. I don't see this as something worth fixing really, the pop up flash is quite useless and fixing it would probably cost more than the camera is worth. I probably used it a dozen times and hated the results every time. Get a hotshoe flash if you want to use flash, preferably something with a head that tilts and swivels. Usually if the pop up breaks, the hotshoe still works.

If something really is broken and it costs around $100 to fix, you can pick up a Pentax af200fg flash instead and have more power than the pop up, have the ability to use it off camera if you pick up some cheap wireless triggers and it won't be blocked by the lens hood. It doesn't tilt or swivel, but it is a huge step up from the pop up.

I still think you're just misunderstanding the number in the LCD display. It is the number of pictures remaining, not how many you've taken, it is backwards from a film camera.

Last edited by elliott; 08-14-2011 at 02:29 AM.
08-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the help, I rarely used the pop up flash anyways, I was thinking of picking up a hotshoe flash even before this happened... another reason to snag one. Thanks for all the help! Any sites you recommend to buy one?
08-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
Inactive Account

There are a lot of options when it comes to flash, you have to decide what you want and how much you want to spend. If you want one that can work in full auto it narrows it down a lot since you need one with p-TTL. The safe bets for fully automatic flashes would be the Pentax af200fg, af360fgz and af540fgz. Sigma and Metz also make p-TTL flashes.

Flash can get complicated, but when done right, it can be hard to tell that it was used at all, something you will not accomplish with a simple on camera flash.