Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2011, 04:37 AM   #1

Begginer photographer

Hey my name is Annabelle and I have been into photography for a while but have only been able to get my camera now. I was looking at many cameras but came across the pentax kx sigma with a 18-200 lens. I am only a begginer and cause I am only 15 my mum says my budget is $700. The pentax kx looks good and from what I have read about it it is a great begginers camera. I need something that will last a long time and is good value. any other suggestions will be great!
And can anyone tell me the pros and cons about the pentix kx sigma
thank you

08-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-x should only run you about $400 used- for $700, you can even step up to a K-r kit.

You can read about both cameras and view a comparison here:
Pentax K-r Camera Reviews - Pentax Camera Reviews - DSLR and Film SLR Database
Pentax K-x Camera Reviews - Pentax Camera Reviews - DSLR and Film SLR Database

Here is a side-by-side comparison of the specifications of the two cameras:
Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-x vs. Pentax K-r - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-13-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Annabelle, and welcome to the forums. The K-x is an excellent beginners camera. Like Adam has said it can be had for about $400 used here in the States. I would assume that Oz has similar prices, but I don't know for sure. I've never used the Sigma 18-200 but you can find user reviews of it in our lens data base here:clicky
Hope that helps.

NaCl(let us know how you make out)H2O
08-13-2011, 05:45 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Hi Annabelle, also welcome. The K-x is excellent and any of the others, K-r, K200D, K10D etc. are excellent for beginners, The automatic settings... handy "set and forget" controls if getting the image is first priority, but as you really-really want to know the deeper stuff, they also have many of the basic or classic controls available as well.

Worth noting in your continuing adventures in photography... My daughter learned on a film camera first, so she right away had to understanding controls and how that related to the image. This became the true value from a DSLR as she then could see how setting something learned on the film camera translated to how the image could looks when she did the same on a digital camera and previewed it.

08-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Hi,
The sigma 18-200 was my first lens; and I had the older k2000 camera while the kx is a newer and better model. I still own both the lens and the camera though I have another higher end camera and lenses. I still use the camera regularly [camera bodies tend to last a long time] but not so much the lens.

In any case the sigma is pretty good as a beginner lens. I learned a lot with it.

Here are some pics taken with it:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/153333-sigma-18...3-5-6-3-a.html

You said you have been into photography for a while, however if you were using a point and shoot and this is your first foray into dSLR then you could borrow this book from the library:
Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817439392): Bryan Peterson: Books
08-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Welcome aboard Annabelle!

I don't have any experience with the Sigma (or the Kx) but I've never liked ultra zoom lenses such as the 18-200 type. There are always points within that focal range where image quality suffers a lot and you'll spend a lot of time cleaning things up with the computer (post processing). Instead, I would recommend deciding what it is you want to do, in general. That is, do you want the camera for taking photos of your friends and family or do you want to run around hunting wildlife but not get so close you can't get away? If it's Both then a lens like the 18-200 may work for you. However, a 2 lens kit may be a better solution for you.

Pentax K-r DSLR Camera with 18-55/55-300mm Lens, Black | eBay

Just as an example. The same 2 lenses can also be found bundled with the K-x. It may also turn out that the basic kit lens, the 18-55 will serve all your needs to start with and you can add the bigger lens later. I think both of these lenses together will out perform the Sigma in every way. In most cases, the camera and the 18-55 will likely serve your needs, make a smaller package, and probably won't completely deplete that budget.

Don't forget. In addition to the camera, you are also going to need batteries and an SD card at the very minimum. I'm probably going to get in trouble for saying this but I also don't care for AA batteries in a camera. The K-r uses a proprietary battery (cannot be purchased and used on the go if need be) but you can get an adapter for less than $20 that will allow you to use AAs if you wish. The point here is, you aren't finished with just the camera and lens(es). You might want to see if Mom can stretch that budget a little bit or perhaps put up some of your own money as well. Also, don't feel you have to spend the entire budget right away. Many of us have been building the kits for several years.

Good luck...

08-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. I remember being 15... I think.... but one thing I remember was having no money so when you say your budget is $700 I believe you.

I have a K-x and it is a fantastic camera, as well as being a fantastic beginners camera.

The k-x with Sigma 18-200 would be fine. I'd have no hesitation picking that package up if you want to buy brand new from a local store.

If you are willing to buy from overseas then I'd suggest a K-r with 18-55 & 50-200 from here: Pentax K-r Twin Kit DAL 18-55mm and DAL 50-200mm lens :: Pentax :: Digital SLR Cameras - eGlobaL Digital Cameras Online Store . That online shop has a good reputation here and is trustworthy.

If you are willing to buy second hand then you will be able to get a K-x or K-r with 18-55 and 55-300 (slightly better than the 50-200 in the package I linked to above). If you watch that market place on this forum you should see such a deal come up once a week maybe.
08-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to have you here Annabelle.
I think you'll find the K-x a very good camera, and the 18-200 lens not a bad first lens to have and learn with.
If I'm not mistaken, you would have seen this K-x bundle deal at Target - it's not a bad buy. Indeed, importing a K-x from the States second hand (from this forum's marketplace for example) would only set you back about A$380 - and a similar lens (if you can find one second hand) about A$220. Nevertheless, buying locally means you have some warranty - the K-x is a fine camera (I have one! )
More information can be sought from this forum's camera review database: Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-r vs. Pentax K-x - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

All the best with your decision, and enjoy the forum.