Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this fungus?

I only have this problem with one lens, so I'm almost positive it's not anything inside the body of the camera. K200D with a Tamron 18-200 zoom for these pictures. I've taken the front element off and cleaned it thoroughly, as well as blowing out any dust inside. So this is either deeper inside the lens, or something etched into the glass. So, to the trained eyes here, what is your diagnosis?

08-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Inactive Account

If I assume you are showing us a picture of your monitor, No that is not fungus. It is dust.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

Typically, the only place you'll see anything That defined from the focal path (lens) is on the sensor and even then, only with the lens stopped down.

08-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If I assume you are showing us a picture of your monitor, No that is not fungus. It is dust.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

Typically, the only place you'll see anything That defined from the focal path (lens) is on the sensor and even then, only with the lens stopped down.

That's not a monitor. It's a shot I took out a window for the express purpose of making the dust as visible as possible. If the dust were on my sensor wouldn't it show when I use other lenses?
08-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
That's not a monitor. It's a shot I took out a window for the express purpose of making the dust as visible as possible. If the dust were on my sensor wouldn't it show when I use other lenses?
Ok, Looked like a monitor to me. As to whether it would show with other lenses, it depends on the lens and the camera settings. Take a 1/4" square piece of post-it note, the sticky part, put it on your lens, dead center of the front element, and take a picture with the lens then tell us what you see in the result. The elements of the lens are Too close to the sensor for anything on them or within the lens to be in that sharp of focus. Can you put the lens on the camera, look and Focus on that strand? I'd bet not. Then why would it be so sharp in the photo?

I still say it's a fuzzy on the sensor but, what do I know. I'm not there.

08-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I still say it's a fuzzy on the sensor but, what do I know. I'm not there.

It looks like you may be right! I blew the sensor off and the lint seems to be gone. I was just hesitant to do anything with the sensor unless I knew for sure it wasn't the lens. Your explanation swayed my mind and all seems to have worked out for the best! Thank you!
08-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
It looks like you may be right! I blew the sensor off and the lint seems to be gone. I was just hesitant to do anything with the sensor unless I knew for sure it wasn't the lens. Your explanation swayed my mind and all seems to have worked out for the best! Thank you!
You're welcome.