Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #1

Fungus in viewfinder?

Hello,

I have a K-1000 SLR with what appears to be fingus in the viewfinder. It stays when I change lenses and remains in focus, which makes me think that's what is it. Any recommendations for removing it?

Last edited by Kate B; 08-13-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: misspelled title
08-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Viewfinder or the mirror or something on the focus screen? It would be best to actually define where it is before tearing into things. If it is on the mirror, it can be cleaned carefully with a lens tissue and some cleaner (usually). If it is on the focus screen, which side is it on? If it is on the viewfinder, Where? With the screen and the viewfinder, it would require taking the camera partially apart (I believe) in order to clean it. It may be easier and less expensive to replace the camera.

08-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I'm sorry to contradict... If it is only fine spots on the mirror, then best to leave it alone. Although the mirror surface is coated with anti-reflective material it is very soft as it is what is called a front silvered mirror. It will scratch easily and lens tissue should be moistened well and quickly and correctly used. Better to not touch unless seriously smudged. The fact that if you can see tendrils of fungus viewable in the viewfinder screen may narrow down where. The K-1000 has, starting from the mirror, a fresnal screen and a condenser like lens and finally the frosted surfaces of the screen. The next surfaces are of the pentaprism and finally the eyepiece lens. The thin air space between the prism and the screen exists a gap that allows the meter needle to poke through. This is common a place for stuff to get in over time as I've found on quite a few cameras that I've CLA'd. I agree with JeffJS that it should be looked over carefully before tearing into it. If the fungus is in the screen surface then fungicide and cleaning is require, but a dis-assembly of the top deck of the camera would be needed to do the cleaning.
08-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
I'm sorry to contradict... If it is only fine spots on the mirror, then best to leave it alone. Although the mirror surface is coated with anti-reflective material it is very soft as it is what is called a front silvered mirror. It will scratch easily and lens tissue should be moistened well and quickly and correctly used. Better to not touch unless seriously smudged. .
Sorry to contradict but This is the same BS horror story type stuff that people spread about cleaning sensors. It requires care, yes, proper materials, yes, but isn't anything difficult to do. I've cleaned MANY camera mirrors and have never damaged the surface of one.

08-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Giveaway winner!

JeffJS, I am pointing out that we should recommend with caution here. I too have cleaned many mirrors because I practiced on junkers and discovered that the right touch should be exercised. Do not expect a first timer to get it right unless you go through some details. I've also had to clean up after a few cleaning disasters from other people... mirrors, sensors, optics. "A little lens tissue" is too vague. You know how and should give the details. By the may, shine a super bright light in the mirror and you will see many scratches left by a cleaning tissue with too little moisture and not properly dusted first. In normal light they are hard to see. This is not BS!

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 08-13-2011 at 12:27 PM.
08-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Inactive Account

But I also said and some cleaner. Implying wet. Maybe you're right though. Everyone who asks a question has no clue and cannot read so step by step details should be given. To say however 'Don't do it' IS BS.

08-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
Giveaway winner!

JeffJS "To say however 'Don't do it' IS BS."... I stand reproached!

I will say I panicked. I've had many nightmare $10 cameras.

I do believe that when folks sign in to a forum for help, sometimes they are shopping for a direction to go and may not always get many replies. So, that one and only answer should maybe also have questions to follow up... so they don't go off thinking it is the only answer. Not everyone knows what to look for when composing the question, details are missed and we can only suggest some steps based on what we read.

08-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Never mind just noticed, its a film camera.