Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #1

Software will not work

This is not a photography problem but perhaps someone my be able to assist me.
I am using Pentax Digital Utility 4 with my K-x DSLR and when trying to open the software it get the Microsoft Message 'PTXUTL40.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close-I have tried reinstalling the software but I cannot make it work-any ideas as to what I should do?

08-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a generic answer and may not work on your particular problem. About 70% of problems occur due to out of date video drivers. Go to your PC manufacturor's website and download and install the latest display adapter driver. Also, make sure you update the operating system using Windows or Microsoft update. And when re-installing software, always uninstall it using the windows uninstall before re-installing it. Also, download the latest version of the Pentax Utility from Pentax website. Hope this helps.
08-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If this is a reinstall (replaced an older version) do a search here on the forums for PDCU crashes. There is a file that needs to be removed after you uninstall the software.

08-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There is file called "checkinfo.ini" that is causing this problem. Try and do a "All files and Folders" search in your system for this file - checkinfo.ini
It will be in a Pentax folder. If you find it you can either rename or delete it.

When you have DCU4 open and the check-box is clicked on any of the thumbnail photos and leave it there, the “checkinfo.ini” file is created in the DCU4 folder as the application is closed. If this file is either renamed or deleted for the “fix”, a new one will be created and will cause the same problem.

To prevent the issue from reoccurring make sure there are no checks in any of the thumbnail photos before closing the program.

Hope this helps!
Cheers!