Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-x flash question

Hi,

Was out shooting mountain bike in the forest this weekend. Ended up using trailing curtain, because I couldn't get high speed sync to work, at least not the way I thought it should be working.

I was using a K-x + Tamron 17-50 Di II with a Metz Mecablitz AF48-1. I set the Metz to HSS for high sync, set the shutter to 1/800 and ISO to 800. Tried both in Tv mode and Manual mode. In Tv mode, the aperture size was blinking at 2.8, wanting to go lower.
In Manual mode I had to set ISO at minimum 2000 just to get enough light according to the EV meter.

I don't think that can be right, but maybe I am wrong? The forest wasn't that dark after all. Just always thought that a flash was suppose to eliminate high iso values.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

08-15-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There may have just not been enough light available. With proper exposure you won't see as much noise, but it'll still be there.

Also remember that with HSS, the effective guide number of your flash falls drastically.a
08-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply, guess I will have to read up on using a flash, some more
Still, with HSS on, I'm sure I saw meter distance to be 10m, but I could be mistaken.

Also, do you know what it means when the guide number flashes on the display?
08-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikknu Quote
I was using a K-x + Tamron 17-50 Di II with a Metz Mecablitz AF48-1. I set the Metz to HSS for high sync, set the shutter to 1/800 and ISO to 800. Tried both in Tv mode and Manual mode. In Tv mode, the aperture size was blinking at 2.8, wanting to go lower.
In Manual mode I had to set ISO at minimum 2000 just to get enough light according to the EV meter.

I don't think that can be right, but maybe I am wrong? The forest wasn't that dark after all. Just always thought that a flash was suppose to eliminate high iso values.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?
Tv mode is trying to meter for ambient, couldn't get anywhere near it, so no surprise it's blinking the aperture value at you.

It's a very interesting comment you make about manual mode needing ISO2000 "just to get enough light according to the meter". Well that is actually very good news if I'm understanding you correctly. First thing to understand is the meter in any mode is indicating ambient exposure, there's no regard for the flash in the meter reading.

In that situation, wanting a bit of reach, I'd try shooting at ISO1000ish and let the flash provide the extra 1 stop of light (which is exactly what pttl will try and do for you). With 1/800 and a Metz 48 don't expect a whole lot of reach, but the flash will tell you exactly what reach it will give so no need to guess. The flash power you lose in on a sliding scale in HSS, just stepping into it loses you 2/3 of your reach, and then every 1/3 stop the reach gets less and less. You need to compensate for with ISO & shutter..... or getting closer

"Just always thought that a flash was suppose to eliminate high iso values." that belief is wrong I'm afraid, especially for using HSS in a forest. I frequently use ISO800 and even ISO1600 for flash photography, those ISOs are nothing to be afraid of in todays DSLRs.

08-16-2011, 03:39 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Tv mode is trying to meter for ambient, couldn't get anywhere near it, so no surprise it's blinking the aperture value at you.

It's a very interesting comment you make about manual mode needing ISO2000 "just to get enough light according to the meter". Well that is actually very good news if I'm understanding you correctly. First thing to understand is the meter in any mode is indicating ambient exposure, there's no regard for the flash in the meter reading.

In that situation, wanting a bit of reach, I'd try shooting at ISO1000ish and let the flash provide the extra 1 stop of light (which is exactly what pttl will try and do for you). With 1/800 and a Metz 48 don't expect a whole lot of reach, but the flash will tell you exactly what reach it will give so no need to guess. The flash power you lose in on a sliding scale in HSS, just stepping into it loses you 2/3 of your reach, and then every 1/3 stop the reach gets less and less. You need to compensate for with ISO & shutter..... or getting closer

"Just always thought that a flash was suppose to eliminate high iso values." that belief is wrong I'm afraid, especially for using HSS in a forest. I frequently use ISO800 and even ISO1600 for flash photography, those ISOs are nothing to be afraid of in todays DSLRs.
Well ain't that interesting. I thought the camera EV meter would adjust accordingly, when using flash... That explains a lot.
So I recon it's normal for the camera EV meter to be at -3 at times, yet give out pictures that are well lit.
Only reason I don't like ISO 2000, is because of the K-x, normally I use a K-5, but it was in the shop.

Thanks a bunch for your reply, will have to do some testing on this soon.

Now I just need to figure out why the distance indicator on the Metz sometimes blinks.