Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Are these pics ok (lens damage)?

I picked up a vivitar 70-210mm 3.5 v2 with olympus mount on ebay mega cheap. I have already converted it to k mount. It is in very nice condition but it has a blemish on the front element. It kind of looks like what happens if you get lens cleaning solution on the lens and let it dry rather than wiping it away. It is perhaps 1/4" and has an irregular shape consistent with something having dried on the lens. It also has a streak and a few small spots that are clear in it also consistent with something drying on it. It appears to be on the outside surface of the front element but won't clean off (so maybe it is inside). Looking straight on at the lens it is barely noticeable (if you were not looking for it you would probably miss it as I did at first). At an angle it becomes visable but looks more like a fog (semi transparent). Look at the center of the pic for a small distortion (best pic I could get).

here are images taken with the lens at f3.5 and f11 at wide and tele (I know, I'm a lousy photographer).
series_1_70-210mm_v2 Photo Gallery by Richard Homeyer at pbase.com

Can anyone see any effect or distortion in the images taken with the lens?

Last edited by ripit; 06-30-2013 at 07:03 PM.
08-15-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That 'blemish' wouldn't cause any real image degradation. As long as you got the conversion right, everything should be fine.

08-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
That 'blemish' wouldn't cause any real image degradation. As long as you got the conversion right, everything should be fine.

I didn't think it would and I didn't see anything in the images. Of course my eye site is a bit off which is part of the reason I was looking for other opinions.
The conversion couldn't have gone better. I stole a mount off another lens and used a step down ring as a spacer. It fit perfect with the original screws and the factory mount holes.
08-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Jeff is quite right. Small to medium blemishes don't affect IQ. Medium to severe damage of the front element might diminish IQ a little, especially if aiming into lights. One clever test: take a cheap surplus lens and smash its objective, to see just how much damage it takes to render the lens unusable. HINT: an awful lot of damage. But a minor blemish? Don't sweat it.

08-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

if it's going to show I suspect it will be in something plain - a sky for example - and possibly at a small aperture. Not in a busy picture of a garden.
08-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I figured that small aperture would have the most problems but wasn't really sure what would be a good image to test (I figured variations in the sky might mask variations in the lens unless you have a nice even clear sky I guess). I'll have to try some more shots when I have free time but I suspect it won't matter. I have seen the test with the damaged and then broken front element and how little difference it made. It seems my luck on ebay has changed too. I just got 2 more winners in the mail.
08-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Again, the images in the broken front element test are busy. A well-lit plain wall (e.g. emulsioned for example) IMHO will show any 'issues' best of all - just like the shots people take to test for sensor stains.