Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax S

I recently picked up a very clean "S" with the 55/2.2 and the instruction book for $40 at a flea market. Cosmetically, the body is in beautiful condition with no dings and the only mark being on the base plate from being mounted on a tripod. There is a bit of oil on the diaphram (not enough to be a problem) and focus is a bit stiff, but the glass is clear..

However, internally the camera knows that it's been sitting in a closet for years. When the shutter works, it's extremely slow and more often than not, only one curtain opens. I think that a good CLA would have this camera back in usable condition.

There are several repair centers I have used in the past, but I'm not sure that I'd trust them with a camera this old and in this condition. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

~G

08-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send it to Eric here:

Home

He is a really good guy (fair, trustworthy, honest) and comes well recommended on this forum and by me.
08-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you!

That's the kind of recommendation I was looking for!

~Geezer G
08-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Done deal I guess..

08-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, Eric. That is the right answer. When he did my S I donated a number of this type of body to him, and all had good shutters. He has parts.

The S is very rare. It was a transitional model between the AP and K, and very few were made. It actually is the rarest production model.

Fully CLA'd you might get 500.00 from a collector. Add a 58mm F/2 or F/2.4 and it would fetch more.

It took Eric a couple of passes to get mine right, but when he did it was perfect. I spent perhaps 120.00 to get mine working. Well worth the time and effort esp. if cosmetically fine.

woof!