Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adaptall-2 to M42

Hi.

I am brand new to Pentaxes...as a matter of fact, I will be receiving my first one tomorrow. So, I am still a bit confused on some of the concepts of using certain lenses on Pentaxes.

I saw an add for an adaptall-2. I understand they are decent quality lenses. I have some M42s which I use on my Nikon DSLR, but M42s are not ideal on Nikons.

If I get an Adaptall-2 lens with an adapter for M42 mounts, will I be able to focus to infinity? I have an infinity adapted that I bought for using M42 lenses on a Pentax, but I am wondering if the adaptall-2 to M42 adapter adds distance which makes infinity focusing impossible.

Also, I don't know anything about the K or PK mount yet (which is why I am trying to find out more). Is there a more direct mount to say a Pentax K20D with an adaptall-2 lens? If so, is there functionality not obtained in I go through the M42 mount?

Thanks...

Steve

Last edited by Spodeworld; 08-15-2011 at 05:26 PM.
08-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, with an Adaptall2-M42 or Adaptall2-PK adapter, you will be able to focus to infinity on a PK-mount camera like your new dSLR. To use any M42 lens, either native or adapted, you will also need an M42-PK adapter, of which there are several kinds:

* the Official Pentax adapter has a thin mounting flange, is safe to use, but may cost US$40 depending on your source
* cheap clones of the Official Pentax adapters cost much less, often in the US$10 area, but YOU MUST REMOVE THE RETAINING SCREW AND CLIP OR YOU WILL GO APESH!T!!
* a cheap safe adapter with wide mounting flange, also for under US$10, but it does not allow for infinity focus -- best for bellows, macro tubes, closeup lenses, etc

Any PK lens will fit on any PK camera, but may lack some function. There are several types of PK mounts, with different functions. The simplest KM-type (manual) has no auto-anything. The KA-type (aperture) has electrical connexions for on-camera control of the aperture. And AF-type support autofocus. I know that Adaptall2-KM adapters exist; I have one. I'm not sure if Adaptall2-KA adapters exist, and I'm pretty sure no AF adapters are available. All Adaptall2 adapters tend to be costly, unless you happily find one on an undervalued lens -- I got lucky that way! NOTE: Some Vivitar and Ricoh PK-mount lenses may be troublesome. Someone here will tell you all about them.

So, welcome to the wonderful world of Pentax, and be sure to tell us how things go.

Last edited by RioRico; 08-15-2011 at 07:41 PM.
08-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Hi.

I am brand new to Pentaxes...as a matter of fact, I will be receiving my first one tomorrow.
- - - - -
I saw an add for an adaptall-2. I understand they are decent quality lenses....

If I get an Adaptall-2 lens with an adapter for M42 mounts, will I be able to focus to infinity? I have an infinity adapted that I bought for using M42 lenses on a Pentax, but I am wondering if the adaptall-2 to M42 adapter adds distance which makes infinity focusing impossible.

.........Is there a more direct mount to say a Pentax K20D with an adaptall-2 lens? If so, is there functionality not obtained in I go through the M42 mount?

Thanks...

Steve
HI, it appears that you are new to both Adaptall-2 and Pentax, so just to elaborate a bit on the above:

Adaptall-2 lenses are designed such that you need a camera/brand specific adapter, called Custom Mounts by Tamron. For Pentax you have the following options:
  • M42 Custom mount(s) - there are a few variants of this type
  • Pentax K Custom Mount - labelled P/K on the rear of the mount
  • Pentax K-A Custom Mount - labelled P/KA on the rear of the mount
Now let's take K20D that you mention as an example:
  • With the Adaptall-2 M42 Custom Mount you will need an additional M42 to Pentax K adapter. You will have infinity focus with that configuration, but as the Tamron lenses do not have an Auto-Manual switch you will need to fix the aperture coupling pin on the Custom Mount in order to be able to stop down the lens. And now we are at it: The M42-to-PK adapter essentially will work for all M42 lenses, allthough there may be some minor issues with a few non-Pentax M42 lenses. As said above, go for the genuine Pentax adapter, or you may get troubles.....
  • With the Adaptall-2 P/KA Custom Mount, Tamron Adaptal-2 lenses will work as any Pentax-A lens - i.e.: You will have full use of all program modes.
And finally, YES most adaptall-2 lenses are of very decent quality indeed. I suggest that you browse the Adatall-2 Club pages for some inspiration:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/59769-adaptall-mount-club-tamron.html
08-16-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks...that is really a big help. I feel so overwhelmed by the range of possibilities. I need to familiarize myself with the kinds of mounts, what they are capable of and how they are used. I assume once you get a handle on it it's not so bad, but at this moment....sheesh, my head is spinning!!

Regards,

Steve

08-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just got the Pentax within the past hour! Nice camera.

I put the adapter on, upgraded the firmware (was 1.01), and it turned out using the M42s wasn't as hard as I thought it would be (using the green button and focus confirmation).

I used the infinity adapter after taking the spring out, and didn't like the way it comes off with the lens. So, like an idiot, thinking since it came with a tool, I would put the spring back and give it a try. Nice...locked into place....then I tried to take it off...not so nice (like Rio said, it will make you Apeshit). Holy crap, it sucked trying to take it off (wow, was your advice correct!!).

Got a question or two.

1. Focus: Should I set the focus point to the middle focus point and recompose. I don't really do that on my other cameras, but I'm not sure if that is how you are supposed to do that with manual lenses.

2. Metering: Does it matter what kind of metering I select? Center, multi, point....

3. Metering again: Got to get used to how it meters. Need to develop a feel for when I need Exposure Compensation. Can't tell yet how well it meters in various situations, but it does seem a bit quirky.

4. The shutter release sounds a bit noisy. Is that normal for the K20D?

Thanks

Last edited by Spodeworld; 08-16-2011 at 04:57 PM.
08-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter

2. Metering: Does it matter what kind of metering I select? Center, multi, point....
Sorry to say this, but using the Adaptall-2 M42 mount adapted using a K-mount/M42 adapter is not your best choice. You may have noticed that the lens never stops down since there is no coupling to the auto-aperture pin and no "A/M" switch to allow fully manual aperture operation.

Two choices:
  • Jam the pin for the Adaptall-2 M42 mount so that the aperture is always stopped down. Use the lens in either Av or M mode defaulting to center-weighted. Exposure metering is sort of hit or miss as is typical for for non-A lenses on the K20D.
  • Get the Adaptall-2 PK or PK/A adapter. The PK (no "A" contacts) is much cheaper, but usage is limited to M mode, center-weighted, and exposure metering will be off as noted above. The PK/A adapter will provide support for all exposure modes as well as accurate metering, but at a price ($$).
I personally use the standard PK adapter even though I own the PK/A. The PK is less tempermental.

Steve
08-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Is that normal for the K20D
Noisier than current generation Pentax cameras? Yep...

Steve
08-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Holy crap, it sucked trying to take it off
There is something to be said for buying the genuine Pentax adapter. I found out the hard way...

Steve

08-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I used the infinity adapter after taking the spring out, and didn't like the way it comes off with the lens. So, like an idiot, thinking since it came with a tool, I would put the spring back and give it a try. Nice...locked into place....then I tried to take it off...not so nice (like Rio said, it will make you Apeshit). Holy crap, it sucked trying to take it off (wow, was your advice correct!!).
Would I steer you wrong?
08-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have a K10D, which is, operationally, almost identical to the K20D. I frequently use a Super Takumar 50mm, f/1.4 lens on my camera.

First, removing the adapter. Many people find it easier if you simply remove the spring clip from the adapter. The purpose of this is to lock the lens onto the camera. I removed the spring from my third-party adapter, and I have never had a problem with since then. Friction is more that enough to keep the lens firmly attached. I leave the adapter on the lens, effectively turning the M42 lens into a K-mount lens.

Metering. I never use the green button with mine. The green button can't stop the lens down to take the meter reading. You have to do that manually. On Super Takumar lenses, and many, but not all M42 lenses, there is a switch marked A/M or Auto/Manual. Set it to M or Manual. This causes the lense to stop down as the aperture ring is turned, rather than waiting for the camera to push the little silver aperture pin on the lens mount. The camera doesn't have the mechanical linkage to do that.

I usually use Av mode with my 50/1.4. I pick a fixed ISO setting, rather than auto-ISO. I set the aperture wide open (1.4 in this case), focus and compose, half-press the shutter to activate the meter (in Av mode the camera will pick the shutter speed) and turn the aperture ring to the desired setting. Then, I full-press the shutter to capture the image. The green button is not necessary. In fact, I'm not sure what the green button does with an M42 lens (I know what it does with a k-mount lens).
08-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I believe the green button comes into play if you have it in M mode, stop down and use the green button to select the shutter speed, which you can then change if you want to.

How do you feel A mode does for metering? I've heard some say that it is variable and the quality of the results can change depending on the aperture selected. Do you use exposure comp? Do you think there are situations where you find it is particularly useful?

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I have a K10D, which is, operationally, almost identical to the K20D. I frequently use a Super Takumar 50mm, f/1.4 lens on my camera.

First, removing the adapter. Many people find it easier if you simply remove the spring clip from the adapter. The purpose of this is to lock the lens onto the camera. I removed the spring from my third-party adapter, and I have never had a problem with since then. Friction is more that enough to keep the lens firmly attached. I leave the adapter on the lens, effectively turning the M42 lens into a K-mount lens.

Metering. I never use the green button with mine. The green button can't stop the lens down to take the meter reading. You have to do that manually. On Super Takumar lenses, and many, but not all M42 lenses, there is a switch marked A/M or Auto/Manual. Set it to M or Manual. This causes the lense to stop down as the aperture ring is turned, rather than waiting for the camera to push the little silver aperture pin on the lens mount. The camera doesn't have the mechanical linkage to do that.

I usually use Av mode with my 50/1.4. I pick a fixed ISO setting, rather than auto-ISO. I set the aperture wide open (1.4 in this case), focus and compose, half-press the shutter to activate the meter (in Av mode the camera will pick the shutter speed) and turn the aperture ring to the desired setting. Then, I full-press the shutter to capture the image. The green button is not necessary. In fact, I'm not sure what the green button does with an M42 lens (I know what it does with a k-mount lens).
08-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I believe the green button comes into play if you have it in M mode, stop down and use the green button to select the shutter speed, which you can then change if you want to.
I'll use M mode and the Green button even with AF lenses, if I'm in a situation with consistent light but variable subjects. For instance, shooting 'scapes in the Red Rock country around Sedona AZ: red-brown hills, dark-green vegetation, blue skies, white puffy clouds. Rather than re-meter every shot, I find a good exposure, and lock it in. Then the varying reflectivity of whatever I've framed doesn't change the exposure.

QuoteQuote:
How do you feel A mode does for metering? I've heard some say that it is variable and the quality of the results can change depending on the aperture selected. Do you use exposure comp? Do you think there are situations where you find it is particularly useful?
With manual lenses, I'll often leave the mode switch on my K20D at TAv, which is right next to M. (TAv defaults to Av with non-A-type lenses.) That way I'm just one click away from either manual or auto metering. And various lenses DO meter oddly at different apertures in Av. So I shoot, and chimp & delete & adjust, and re-shoot, and fix in PP as needed. Adjustment may mean EV comp, or explicitly choosing a different aperture or shutter or ISO etc.