Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2011, 02:45 AM   #1

Dust on sensor

I recently checked my sensor for dust and apart from the usual dust spots, I found something really weird.
Here's the picture:

Does anyone know what it is in the bottom corner of the picture?

08-16-2011, 03:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

it'realy dust
08-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by danrodi Quote
I recently checked my sensor for dust and apart from the usual dust spots, I found something really weird.
Here's the picture:

Does anyone know what it is in the bottom corner of the picture?
It looks like a small hair.
You should be able to blow it out easily, use a clean camera / lens blower.
Follow the instructions in the manual how to get the mirror up.

Make sure not to spit on the sensor, it would only make things worse.

Bert
08-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a hair or something similar.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

08-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
It looks like a small hair.
You should be able to blow it out easily, use a clean camera / lens blower.
Follow the instructions in the manual how to get the mirror up.

Make sure not to spit on the sensor, it would only make things worse.

Bert
Whew, I already got worried that it's something like a scratch since there are sharp edges. Anyway, I tried blowing it out using a blower, but as that didn't help, I decided to take the camera to the maintenance where they'll clean it for me.
08-16-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danrodi Quote
Whew, I already got worried that it's something like a scratch since there are sharp edges. Anyway, I tried blowing it out using a blower, but as that didn't help, I decided to take the camera to the maintenance where they'll clean it for me.
There had been *a lot* of discussion on this subject on this forum.
Without trying to replicate all of that, you could try and read some of it.
Dust is part of the hassle of having a DSLR. It's is something I'd try to deal with myself if I were you.

I have:
- a rocket blower as a first line of defense,
- a clean, soft, small, makeup brush for the next level of problems and
- wet swipes as a last resort (The Methods - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.) in my camera bag.

Bert

Last edited by bymy141; 08-16-2011 at 07:57 AM.
08-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
There had been *a lot* of discussion on this subject on this forum.
Without trying to replicate all of that, you could try and read some of it.
Dust is part of the hassle of having a DSLR. It's is something I'd try to deal with myself if I were you.

I have:
- a rocket blower as a first line of defense,
- a clean, soft, small, makeup brush for the next level of problems and
- wet swipes as a last resort (The Methods - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.) in my camera bag.

Bert
I understand that but I guess I'm just not ready to clean sensor myself with different objects. Of course, some of it could be blamed on the scary posts where people warn that you could severely damage your sensor, but if it keeps reoccurring often then I'll try to clean it next time myself. First time tends to be the hardest.

Last edited by danrodi; 08-16-2011 at 08:49 AM.
08-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My recommendation - bite the bullet and learn how to clean your sensor yourself. It is not hard. I did the "camera shop" method for awhile (they did a good job) but it gets expensive fast. I have the problem of owning and using too many lenses, so I'm constantly changing them, and of course my really clean sensor gets really dusty really fast and my professional cleaning has gone to waste.

bymy141 has hit the nail on the head - arm yourself with the tools he suggests and you'll be fine. It's actually really difficult to screw it up. The first time you do a wet cleaning, you'll have to do it over, and probably over again to get it right - don't worry about it. After about the 3rd cleaning, you'll be comfortable with it. There are some good "how to" videos on Youtube that can help.

The one "splurge" item I bought was a sensor loupe so I can actually get a good look at the sensor. It's not a necessary toy but it does help a lot. They're way over priced - but what the heck, I'm going to be using it for as long as dslr's are around - and I think that will be for a while.

08-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter

danrodi I recently bought a Kx-r and when changing lenses (I think) managed to get some in. This was really noticeable when taking videos. The camera's inbuilt dust detection was not showing anything. After doing some searchs on the web I found this site Welcome aboard! they have lots of good advice and sell cleaning gear. Showed me how to clean it and detect dust etc. Note you actually do not have anything on your sensor it is on sensor protective cover. In my case I had to use a fluid cleaner to finish the job and I was nervous about it. I think if you follow instructions and take care it is safe and not difficult.
08-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I was very worried about sensor cleaning when I first got my k100, and have gotten the sensor pretty dirty at times, but cleaning it has mostly been an easy task. You'll have to clean it sooner or later if you change lenses a lot in any less than a pristine environment.

Paul
08-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I've previously raved about the Pentax lollipop but now I'm retracting all I said about it. First couple of times round it was perfect, however I used it this week and it made a complete mess of my sensor with wet residue left behind and even bits of the lollipop itself deposited. I'd stored it very carefully in it's plastic holder and even stored that in a zip lock bag with the little notepad, so it's a mystery why it misbehaved so badly
08-26-2011, 03:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I've previously raved about the Pentax lollipop but now I'm retracting all I said about it. First couple of times round it was perfect, however I used it this week and it made a complete mess of my sensor with wet residue left behind and even bits of the lollipop itself deposited. I'd stored it very carefully in it's plastic holder and even stored that in a zip lock bag with the little notepad, so it's a mystery why it misbehaved so badly
Hi

I remember having heard of this happening on the forum here some time ago. I use the little sucker (lollipop) a lot and every time before use now I make sure I dab the head on the supplied paper first. This way I figured if the thing starts to break down I will be able to see the indication of this happening on the paper. After all the paper is quite sticky and any deterioration should manifest itself there quite quickly.

I feel for you and I now start to worry a bit more. I guess the polymer is starting to break down. By the way I store and carry the thing with me in exactly the same way. There are equivalent ones available on e-bay at a much cheaper price (not surprising) . They are clear in colour though. I have heard of people saying they won't use them for fear of breakdown of the Chinese polymer product, but if this happens with the genuine product - then buying them from PENTAX , what's the benefit. I guess they are also only made in China. Which awakens in me the thought of the pro and cons of Chinese e-bay third party batteries that was raging here in the forum not so long ago.

Is it worth, possible to let PENTAX know about it and complain? Not sure where you could turn to as they are not sold in Australia. C R Kennedy don't deal with them. I purchased mine in Tokyo. Nevertheless PENTAX should acknowledge some responsibility for this.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Greetings
08-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I remember having heard of this happening on the forum here some time ago. I use the little sucker (lollipop) a lot and every time before use now I make sure I dab the head on the supplied paper first. This way I figured if the thing starts to break down I will be able to see the indication of this happening on the paper. After all the paper is quite sticky and any deterioration should manifest itself there quite quickly.

Is it possible that the thing just has a best before date and once it reaches a certan age, it's time to stick a fork in it?
08-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Is it possible that the thing just has a best before date and once it reaches a certan age, it's time to stick a fork in it?
That is very true but there is no use by date on it. But that is why I check carefully before touching the sensor with it. (After hearing those horror stories)
Mine is over three years old and still good.

Greetings