Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2011, 03:05 AM   #1

Putting back photo into camera + digital filter

hi all,
im new to forum!

i have the tiny h90, and happy with it, and i use it like a toy camera!
i dont want to use photoshop at all, i just want to use digital filters,
but sometimes i want to stamp out some detail from the photo, hence i use photoshop...
that's what i do: i take a picture, then copy to my mac, make some photoshop and then i save it as JPG, put it back into the camera and try to put the digital filter

problem is that photos saved from mac placed back into camera are uneditable, i even cannot zoom in them!
i do see the pic in the camera screen, but i cant do anything with it

all i want to do is put the digital filter - of course i could do it with photoshop but i would prefer not to.

i think the problem is with JPG compression, there must be some encoding which has to match the pentax reader in order to be fully editable from the camera, so i tried many different, i even changed the preview icon, but all i see when turn on the camera is a pixeled uneditable preview

does anybody had this problem?
thanks in advance!

09-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi skexxx

Quote:
< I think the problem is with JPG compression, there must be some encoding which has to match the pentax reader in order to be fully editable from the camera, so i tried many different, i even changed the preview icon, but all i see when turn on the camera is a pixeled uneditable preview > End Quote

I think there you found the cause of the problem. The ROM memory of cameras is limited, they may have implimented only ONE combination of parameters for each available compression class - as far as I know the standard allows for a 5-digit number of combinations, not to speak about programs slightly "extending" the standard; many viewers will still be able to show the pictures, but editing may not be possible, or the program will crash when you try to.
It seems PS stores the pictures with a small integrated preview version - the standard allows for that, and also the EXIF data may contain a hidden preview. The firmware in the camera understands the preview coding - there are less possibilities for alterations, but it does not understand the coding of the picture itself. The camera firmware probably not even tries to analyse the coding: why should it, it "thinks" it coded it itself. Computer programs do analyse before starting to decode.

Try to google for programs which can analyse JPGs and read out all coding parameters. I am not sure such programs exist (affordable) for Windows and Mac, but probably for Linux. There is also some information about JPG parameters stored in the EXIF data. I don't use PS, but it should have possibilities to either leave EXIF unmodified, updated, or not to store EXIF at all. Try all 3 possibilities.

Keep in mind, that, if the camera thinks it can decode the JPG, but does not succeed, the internal program may crash, and you may have to reset the OS to factory settings (inform yourself how to do that with a H90 prior to try out too much).

Not much help from my side, I am afraid, but maybe some more ideas.

Sorry, I just realized your post is older than 2 weeks, so you may have given up or even solved the problem.
09-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi!

thanks a lot for such a technical reply,

yes it seems the matter is a lot more difficult than the actual result,
so i just decided to make digital filters in photoshop and avoid the problem,
good to know, though!

cheers