Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2011, 05:37 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How to do a firmware update

I've been trying to do a update on a k20 and k5 how exactly do you do this asks a newbie thanks.....

08-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I just updated firmware for my K100D. I downloaded the file from the Pentax website, Digital SLR | Pentax Support. Find your camera(s) and follow- you should be able to download the firmware updates. Instructions are also there. It was very easy.

Hope this helps.
08-16-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You say you've been Trying. What isn't working?

Above ALL else, make sure you have freshly charged batteries in the cameras.

08-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #4

I couldn't update my Kx on my Mac so too it to work and accessed the Pentax site via IE and no problem downloading to camera. Only took a couple of minutes. Steve

08-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you have a K100D, make sure that you don't inadvertantly download the firmware for the K100D Super. That is a different camera and the firmware update won't work.

Download the update file, which is a self-extracting zip file. Double-click on the downloaded file to execute it and extract the firmware file, which has an extension of ".bin" and a readme file, which contains detailed instructions.

As others pointed out, make sure that your batteries are charged. The update only takes a couple of minutes, but if your batteries die while doing it, you have an expensive paperweight.

You can either use the USB cable to copy the .bin file to the camera or you can put the SD card in the card reader slot on your computer. Copy the .bin file to the ROOT DIRECTORY of the SD card. Do not put it in the DCIM, or any other, folder on the card. The instructions say to use a freshly formatted card, but that really isn't necessary, as long as there is room on the card.

Now, put the SD card in the camera or disconnect the USB cable. Turn the camera off and back on. The camera should detect the update file on the SD card and perform the update. Don't touch the camera until it says update complete.

You can determine if it worked, by turning the camera on while holding down the Menu button. The camera will display the firmware version for a few seconds before booting up.
01-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Noblepa, thank you for the explanation. I was able to upgrade mine.
Sonny
01-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #7

a word of advice : leave the original firmware 1.01, it works better for autofocusing. ( for the k-5 )
01-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Go and put the new 1.12 for the K-5, the autofocus work better

02-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I just updated to the 1.12 firmware and was amazed at the improvement. I went into a walk- in closet left the light off (there was some ambient light coming from another room) and it just snapped! into focus I had been at update 1.03 and whenever I was in dim lighting it would hunt quite a bit. Much better than my K10D but it still had too work to get focus. I recommend everyone get the update unless focus hunting has never been a problem.