Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It seems like when I put my flash on with a manual lens and Av mode, even if I dial down the flash output, I seem to get the same exposure. I thought dialing down the flash output would impact the exposure, but unless I am doing something wrong, I am not seeing it.

09-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Just with regards to center focus with M42 lenses

page 107 of the manual for the K20D
QuoteQuote:
The AF point is fixed to the center position regardless of this setting with lenses other than DA, D FA, FA J, FA or F lenses.
09-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
It seems like when I put my flash on with a manual lens and Av mode, even if I dial down the flash output, I seem to get the same exposure. I thought dialing down the flash output would impact the exposure, but unless I am doing something wrong, I am not seeing it.
Flash will always fire at full power, regardless of the flash power setting, when you're using manual lenses like Pentax-M or M42s. You can dial down the flash only if you're using Pentax-A lenses or newer.

Yeah, pisses me off, too.
10-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well that explains that mystery. Thanks....that's really too bad indeed!

QuoteOriginally posted by MobiusOne Quote
Flash will always fire at full power, regardless of the flash power setting, when you're using manual lenses like Pentax-M or M42s. You can dial down the flash only if you're using Pentax-A lenses or newer.

Yeah, pisses me off, too.

10-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Does your flash have an "Auto" setting? Not TTL or P-TTL, but Auto? If so, you can get correct exposures with manual lenses once you learn how the flash works..
10-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Does your flash have an "Auto" setting? Not TTL or P-TTL, but Auto? If so, you can get correct exposures with manual lenses once you learn how the flash works..
Although perhaps not what people may not wish to hear if you want to shoot flash with M42 lenses get an *istD

Ful TTL flash including high speed sync with M 42 lenses
10-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I was discussing the pop up flash. But, I recently picked up an old flash that does have Auto, and that suggestion is a good one. I was trying to work out if I could get more control over the output of the pop up, but it appears that when you have a M42 lens on there, the pop up is full blast regardless of what you set the flash output to.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote

10-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Well, I was discussing the pop up flash. But, I recently picked up an old flash that does have Auto, and that suggestion is a good one. I was trying to work out if I could get more control over the output of the pop up, but it appears that when you have a M42 lens on there, the pop up is full blast regardless of what you set the flash output to.
Just a reminder that before using an old flash on a modern dSLR, be sure to CHECK THE TRIGGER VOLTAGE! so that the flash doesn't FRY THE CAMERA'S ELECTRONICS!! Of course you've already done that, but anyone new to the old-flash game should be aware of the danger. DON'T BRICK THE CAMERA!
10-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, you're absolutely right. I picked up a Pentax AF 280T, which I checked out and found out works pretty well with the newer DSLRs and won't fry the camera. Your advice to check out voltage compatibility is very crucial though.