Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No Access to C MENU in K-7

When I press MENU button, it displays the page 1: JEPG, 14M, ***, ....., SR (off). I press the "right" button and cannot reach the custom menu. I don't know what's wrong with the software.

08-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the Dial mode on Green mode?

If so, place it to P (Hyperprogram).

If not, tell us more about your settings.
08-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Is the Dial mode on Green mode?

If so, place it to P (Hyperprogram).

If not, tell us more about your settings.
On the K5, the custom menu is not available at all in Green Mode. They REALLY don't want anyone changing whatever settings they've deemed appropriate for that mode.

08-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. I moved the dial away from Green Mode and it worked. I seldom use this camera. In over a year since I bought this camera, the battery was charged only 3 or 4 times. It still has the version 1 firmware. I use my K-x and the two MZ film cameras much more.

Now I need help to up-date the firmware. The instruction says: use a blank SD card, then it says: insert the formatted SD card to the computer.

How do I format it? Can I use the same SD card already in the camera? I don't have a card reader and no such port on my computer. Then It says:

Insert SD card in camera and connect camera to computer.

Do I need to turn on camera power?

How do I put the up-date file in "root directory"?

Last edited by violini; 08-17-2011 at 07:47 PM.
08-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
The instruction says: use a blank SD card, then it says: insert the formatted SD card to the computer.

How do I format it? Can I use the same SD card already in the camera? I don't have a card reader and no such port on my computer.
Format the card in the camera.

Then It says:
Insert SD card in camera and connect camera to computer.
Do I need to turn on camera power?
Yes

How do I put the up-date file in "root directory"?
In a computer HDD, the root directory is C:\. The top one.

08-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In step 1 of readme: Copy fwdc204b.bin to root directory in SD card.
I don't know how to do this.
08-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

In step 1 of readme: Copy fwdc204b.bin to root directory in SD card.
I don't know how to do this.
1. You download the appropriate file to your computer. If it's a PC, it will be an EXE type file. Click it to run and unpack the firmware (I assume you've done this already).

2. Somehow, you manage to get your photos from the card to the computer, Correct? Either with the USB cable connected to the computer and camera or with the card in the computer card reader. Either way, the camera/card becomes an extension drive on your computer (D: E: etc). Simply copy the BIN file to the card so that On the card, you see both the file AND, the DCIM directory (where your photos are recorded in the camera).

3. MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS COMPLETELY CHARGED.

4. Press Menu while turning on the camera (with the card in the camera).

5. Answer Yes to the question you see to update firmware.

6. Your will see Phase 1 Followed by Phase 2 followed by Completed (and the red light next to the card door flashing).

DO NOTHING UNTIL YOU SEE COMPLETED, DO NOT TURN THE CAMERA OFF BEFORE THEN OR YOU WILL HAVE A PRETTY BRICK.

7. Format the card in the camera (setup menu) and you are ready to take photos again.

Good luck.
08-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter

You will need access to a computer that can handle an SD card, with either a built in slot or a card reader.
Format the card in the camera.
Download the software and open it on the computer.

Copy the firmware upgrade to your SD card.
The root directory means the folder the camera created when you formated the card.
You can also format the card in the computer and just copy the file over.
Either way works.
Put card back in you camera and follow the readme instructions to the letter.
That's the most important part.
hope this helps.

08-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. First I click the up-date file, then "Control C", insert SD card in the computer slot, 2nd window appears with "DCIM" on it, press "Control V". The file is in SD card. On the camera, it shows the battery is still "green", it was charged about 5 months ago. I'd better charge it again before I up-date the firmware.
08-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Thanks for the help. First I click the up-date file, then "Control C", insert SD card in the computer slot, 2nd window appears with "DCIM" on it, press "Control V". The file is in SD card. On the camera, it shows the battery is still "green", it was charged about 5 months ago. I'd better charge it again before I up-date the firmware.
Just to be safe, Yes.

08-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is the first time I update the firmware. I'll write down the steps which may be useful for other first time users.
1. Format SD card by going to SETUP MENU #4. It also deletes whatever data in the card.
2. Charge the battery.
3. Download update file (exe) from Pentax web site. Run it and you get 2 files: readme and bin.
4. Print out readme; it's an instruction. My laptop has a SD card slot.
5. Click bin file (it will be highlighted) and press "control C".
6. Insert SD card into computer; a window appears with "DCIM", then press "control V". Now the window has DCIM and the update file. Remove SD card from computer.
7. Install fully charged battery and SD card.
8. Turn camera power ON while pressing MENU button.
9. "NOW LOADING" appears on monitor and will change to "PROGRAM UPDATE'. Use 4-way controller to select "YES" and press "OK". "UPDATING' appears.
10. "COMPLETE" will be displayed at left bottom, then turn off camera.
11. Re-format SD card to delete the file.
08-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Looks like you are now an expert at it. Now get out there and enjoy the camera. These aren't meant to sit in bags unused