Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
choices

well i hav to make a choice and i want to get some feed back first.

I am going to buy a camera body and i have 3 choices a k100d or 2 different k10d's and i dont know what to do here is why.

the first k100d is in good condition and nothing wrong with it and has low shuter count but i have already owned one of these and i would like an up grade.

the 2nd is a k10d with a dead pixel the images look good though and the body is in good shape.

the 3rd is a k10d with the preview buton jamed so you can not take a preview shot but this really does not matter to me at all.

so there is my ? what would you do please let me know cause i dont know what to do and i have owned one dslr ever and i really liked it i am leaning to the 3rd one so please give your input thanks

08-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With the third option, is the button actually jammed or is the preview method just set to optical?
ie, if you set the aperture to f22 does the viewfinder go dark?

A really nice feature of the k-7 is that it has pixel mapping to ignore dead pixels - so fixing a hot pixel is no biggie on that camera, shame the K10d doesn't. I think you will find almost all cameras get hot pixels as they age... so one without hot pixels now may just develop one or two next week. It's also easily fixed in software and no problem except for completely black backgrounds.

If it were me, I'd go for option 4 and get a second hand K-7; they're way too cheap now that the K5, Kr and Kx have lower noise sensors, but in every other regard it's the best camera ever made!
08-18-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'll agree with calsan that a fourth option would be best. But if those three are actually your only choices, I'd go with #3, IF IT IS CHEAP. A distressed camera had BETTER be cheap!
08-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I was just using a DSLR for landscape or "set" shots and only could choose of the 3 you listed, i'd get either #2 or 3, which ever one was cheaper. As stated, dead pixels can be fixed in PP and not having the preview is no big deal in these instances.

I would also look into prices for a Kx, to keep the options open.

08-18-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
Forum Member

Get one of the K10Ds -- maybe the one in better physical condition, if you can handle them both. If the preview button really is broken on the second one, I might go for the one with the dead pixel. If it's only one, you could easily fix that in PP for any important shots where it was visible.
08-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The K100D is a great camera but if it is not a K100D Super then I won't go for it.
Dead pixels are easy to fix and eventually all digital cameras will have this, so even if you think that the K10D with a "jammed" preview button doesn't have dead pixels now, it will surely have it later..then you'll have a jammed preview button and dead pixels.
I will definitely go with the K10D with dead pixel(s) since that is the only issue and is usually normal plus it is an easy fix via software.
If you are not even looking or aware of the dead pixels, you won't even notice it since it is "a pixel"..meaning very small block (1 unit) of picture element.
08-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
...I will definitely go with the K10D with dead pixel(s) since that is the only issue and is usually normal plus it is an easy fix via software.
If you are not even looking or aware of the dead pixels, you won't even notice it since it is "a pixel"..meaning very small block (1 unit) of picture element.
Adobe Camera RAW automatically eliminates them even in the basic Elements version, so I never see them even on my older camera. Probably other software has similar features, and there's always healing/cloning.

Without more details, I agree with those who would buy something newer than a K10D.