Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #1

How to trust?

Hi, i got a question. Someone offered me to sell his lens after i advertised it in "wanted item" section. He said he has the lens and he offer a good price. The problem is, he did not contact me via the forum. (I just got an email saying that if i want to contact the seller, i can use the online form. When i clicked the link, it says

"Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help."

So,is this guy real or just a scam?

*sorry i put this in the lens discussion.I dont really know where this thread should go.

08-19-2011, 02:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The user might just have made a mistake in his profile settings, and accidentally disallowed receiving emails from other users.

That said, be cautious, use common sense, and try to ascertain if the user has a reputation for buying and selling on the forum, and also if it's a well established user (post count, join date, are they helpful in their replies, etc).
08-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
The user might just have made a mistake in his profile settings, and accidentally disallowed receiving emails from other users.

That said, be cautious, use common sense, and try to ascertain if the user has a reputation for buying and selling on the forum, and also if it's a well established user (post count, join date, are they helpful in their replies, etc).
Yeah, i tried to google his name (i know its sounds stupid but sometimes it works.some people did post scammers name on the net). He got an account at dpreview.com and he did offer to sell something (lenses,camera,etc) to someone thats looking for the item. He uses the same words and sentences to everyone. eg:

Hello
I am contacting you regarding your wanted advert, How you still
interested in buying this item.. I have it still in good working
condition and in perfect order...bla2.

i dont think he's real.
08-19-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I moved your thread to the Beginner's Q&A corner as it is best suited there (not really discussing lenses).

But if you have your suspicions, you can choose to avoid him/her.
If there is no reliable way to contact the potential buyer, then it's dubious.
You're in the position where if you did contact this person and he/she did reply with a legitimate offer, and pays for it, then you've got a winner.

08-19-2011, 03:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You're in the position where if you did contact this person and he/she did reply with a legitimate offer, and pays for it, then you've got a winner.
The problem is that it would be the OP paying the stranger, as he had posted in the items wanted section.

QuoteOriginally posted by basikal_kusayang Quote
i dont think he's real.
I think you're right. Follow that instinct, there will be other opportunities. Most trust-able buyers and sellers on the forum here seem to make good use of their feedback score. Between that and their other activity on the forum, you can get an idea of what to expect.
08-19-2011, 03:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I moved your thread to the Beginner's Q&A corner as it is best suited there (not really discussing lenses).

But if you have your suspicions, you can choose to avoid him/her.
If there is no reliable way to contact the potential buyer, then it's dubious.

Thanks for your opinion. I did reply his email and he offered me a really good price for the lens. I mean, really good price. But I still hace doubt in him and i had a bad experience with a scammer before this. The email that i got from him sounds real, but Im still not sure. oh well, i guess i have to avoid him and let go the "offer"..
08-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
The problem is that it would be the OP paying the stranger, as he had posted in the items wanted section.

I think you're right. Follow that instinct, there will be other opportunities. Most trust-able buyers and sellers on the forum here seem to make good use of their feedback score. Between that and their other activity on the forum, you can get an idea of what to expect.
Thanks mate. I dont know how he's able to contact me via the "wanted forum". i guess you are right, there are a lot of trust-able seller in this forum. Cheers mate.

08-19-2011, 03:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Most sellers will want payment before dispatch. Ok if you use PayPal or equivalent as you'll be protected to some extent by their T&C's and process, not so good if it's some kind of cash transfer.

If it looks too good to be true that's because it is! Avoid!!!
08-19-2011, 03:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

PayPal protections are fairly decent within the U.S., within Canada, and probably for local sales in other places too. It gets more complicated with international orders though. Even for sales between the U.S. and Canada, their policies are quite different.

IDK where the OP or the seller is located, but just throwing that out there as a consideration.
08-19-2011, 03:55 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always use Paypal, and get full information on the individual I am selling to or buying from. There is a feedback system on the forum as well that will let you know if the individual has had sales/purchases before and how those were handled.

Finally, online dealings are all about trust.
08-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
If the price is very low, my guess is it's a scammer.

If there's doubt, ask questions - history of the lens, pictures he's taken with it, ask for a photo of the lens itself. If the seller is evasive and talks about how he's a "trusted seller on the site", or something stupid like that, it's a scammer.

My experience is that scammers use hotmail or yahoo. If it is a scammer, report them. The scammer will just open another account, but it will kill any "deals" they currently have running with other victims.
08-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What ever you do, DO NOT send money via paypal as a 'gift' or 'cash transfer'. IF it is a scam, you not only may never see your lens, but you will also never see your money again. Not from Paypal anyway. You give up all protections by violating their policies using that option to purchase goods.

08-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
What ever you do, DO NOT send money via paypal as a 'gift' or 'cash transfer'. IF it is a scam, you not only may never see your lens, but you will also never see your money again. Not from Paypal anyway. You give up all protections by violating their policies using that option to purchase goods.
Quite so! The amount 'saved' by calling it a 'gift' is trivial. The 'gift' category is useful if you're donating to a charity or rescuing a relative; otherwise it leaves you totally exposed, with no recourse -- just another sucker. I have made just one purchase this way, but it was under special conditions where I had reason to trust the seller.
08-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Dear Philoslothical,

Yesterday, we discovered that a spammer registered on our forum under the username of 'philoo' and 'philo', and proceeded to send multiple fraudulent Marketplace sale requests to members of the forum via both PM and e-mail. We suspect that up to 20 messages may have been sent.

Please be advised that this user was a fraud. Do not reply to his messages and do not proceed with any transaction requests. This user will NOT know your e-mail address unless you voluntarily reply to an e-mail....
Was this the user that contacted you, OP?

I just got this email from the forums. Nice of them to alert us about issues like this.

The similarity of username to my own is a bit disturbing though.
08-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In "all my years" on forums, including this one, I don't believe I've ever been emailed about a scammer until tonight. Is it more serious than usual? Did 20 people report the PM/email? But 20 messages sent vs the thousands and thousands of members on the mailing list who have received the warning...?