Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #1

Dropped my Kx! LCD display no longer works - need advice

Hi everyone,

My Kx took a hard fall and I'm surprised it's still working at all. To my knowledge, the only thing no longer working is the LCD display, so I'm not able to make a lot of adjustments. Otherwise, the camera seems to be working as before and I can look through the optical viewfinder to make sure my shutter speeds, exposure override, aperture, etc. are where I want them.
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if you have any feedback.

Do you know if this is something fixable?

Would Pentax charge a fee even if they try but are unable to fix it?

Any third parties I should consider sending it to other than Pentax? I live in Seattle, WA.

Thanks so much for your advice!

08-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Forum Member

Camera Clinic - Shoreline, WA
08-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Banned

Haha you've got a film camera there. Put a 32GB card in it and you've essentially got a film camera with unlimited shots. Could make you into a great photographer!
09-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #4

what outcome? How did you fix it?

I'm having the same problem -- my Kx LCD screen lights a dim grey, but does not show anything. Otherwise, the camera works, fine.

Were you able to get yours fixed? I saw an append that reported $200 for this repair, and if it costs that much I may buy a Canon.

09-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtrick Quote
I'm having the same problem -- my Kx LCD screen lights a dim grey, but does not show anything. Otherwise, the camera works, fine.

Were you able to get yours fixed? I saw an append that reported $200 for this repair, and if it costs that much I may buy a Canon.
Sorry to hear that about your Kx. I was quoted at about $235 when it was all said & done (taxes, shipping, etc.). Although, my situation may be different than yours since my LCD no longer worked at all and was caused by a hard fall. Anyway, the cost wasn't worth it given I only paid about $600 for the camera new.

I debated between the Kr and K5 for quite some time. I decided on the K5 and don't regret the decision one bit.

If the K5 is out of budget and/or not of interest to you, I highly recommend you considering the Kr. If you liked your Kx, the Kr is all that and then some. Some great improvements over the Kx including focus points in the viewfinder, ability for AF micro adjustment, faster frames per second, etc. To me, it would have been the smarter choice to spend roughly $650 on a new Kr than $235 fixing the Kx (with a hard fall, you don't know what else may be wrong with it too).

Good luck and I hope you're happy with whatever choice you make
09-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #6

Ditto

Yeah. Same here. It's not worth paying half the price of the camera to get it repaired. I just got an "estimate" of $260. So, will upgrade to a better camera. I've been a Pentax guy for 30 years. Loved my ME Super. Will keep the K5 in mind, but want to find a better lens for soccer photos. I have an ancient Vivitar 70-210 and a new Sigma 70-300, but neither is as sharp as I would like. If I can't find a better Pentax lens, I may buy a camera kit from the "white lens" company.
Attached Images

09-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah. Same here. It's not worth paying half the price of the camera to get it repaired. I just got an "estimate" of $260. So, will upgrade to a better camera. I've been a Pentax guy for 30 years. Loved my ME Super. Will keep the K5 in mind, but want to find a better lens for soccer photos. I have an ancient Vivitar 70-210 and a new Sigma 70-300, but neither is as sharp as I would like. If I can't find a better Pentax lens, I may buy a camera kit from the "white lens" company.

That photo looks pretty sharp to me. It looks a bit over-exposed on my monitor but otherwise looks good. Have you considered the Tammy 70-200 f2.8? I've heard it's very, very sharp. Although, it may not have the reach you're looking for. Also, if you're thinking of spending the kind of money for L glass, you might consider the Pentax DA* 60-250. Sure it's only f4, but if you're shooting outdoor events in good daylight, it'd be plenty fast for you. That lens with the K5 would be a dream.

Anyway, Canon's L glass is hard to beat too if you've got the funds!

Good luck to you however you choose
09-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #8

Thanks!

Sounds like the 60-250 would be great for soccer photos and maybe the DA 50-135 F2.8 for basketball. I'll put those and a K5 on my Xmas list.

I appreciate the advice!

09-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #9

Hey mtrick! seems like I found someone else having the same problem!!! I've even replaced the whole monitor unit (~$100 at service center) and still the problem persists.

Did this happen ONCE u upgrade to firmware 1.02? I've downgraded to 1.01 and now sometimes it will show, sometimes it won't. I can't figure out the pattern of the condition and it's kinda frustating. I think I will try downgrade all the way back to 1.00 to try rescue my beloved K-x.

I wonder could this be a Pentax hardware/firmware problem or just individual camera problems..
09-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #10

Tried Firmware upgrade.

Navi,

My Kx LCD display started going flaky when I tried a new micro-SD card in an adapter. I had also switched the card from one camera to another. Maybe that was just coincidence, but it made me think it might be a software problem. If I shut the camera down, waited a few minutes and restarted, it would sometimes bring the LCD back to life. Eventually, it failed completely, and I haven't had any life in the LCD for a couple of months. I tried deleting all the files from the card. I tried a different card. I tried updating the Firmware to 1.02, but I'm not sure I did it successfully since the process requires watching messages on the LCD display and clicking buttons at appropriate times. I will try backing off to 1.00. It can't hurt. I suspect a software problem because the display glows a dim grey, so I know it is getting power. How do you know if the upgrade or downgrade completes if you can't read the display?

If that doesn't work, I am contemplating surgery. If that doesn't fix it, it might damage the machine to the point that a $260 repair is justified.

-Mike
09-30-2011, 11:16 PM   #11

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get Pentax K-x firmware v1.00??
10-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #12

I see only 101 and 102.
File list