Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #1

Voigtlander Nokton 58 1.4 SLII

Hi,

i'm a bit worried as I have a Nokton, tha should be SLII.
If anyone bought the lens before they were discontinued can you tel me if the CPU contacts look like this (only one!!!)
I bought mine from USA but it looks like this:
【新品上市】Voigtlander/福伦达 NOKTON 58/1.4 SLII PK口全新品!!! #20147 ¥3500 100新 宾得 135器材 广东- 二手摄影器材交易 - 蜂鸟论坛

Is it a fake? Is it SLI not SLII as anounced in the box?
How can I know?

Thank you in advance

08-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your picture doesn't show.
08-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
RJR

Original Poster
Hi,

It shows now!
The direct link for the lens picture is the following:
http://www.digifan.cn/photo/2010325203315.jpg
Thanks
08-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The SL 1 series lense had grey focusing ring. The new SL 2 series have black focusing ring.

The main difference between SL 1 and SL 2 is the chip that allow correct metering with the DSLR Nikon and Pentax.

08-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

My Nokton has only one contact. I find it odd that the lens is indicated as just an SL while on my box it's and SL II. Regardless, I purchased mine new from B&H about a year and a half ago. Either we both have fakes or they are the real ones. I have to believe that you and I have no problem.
08-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
RJR

Original Poster
Thank you Aurele!
That's a diference indeed!
My point is if the chip for metering needs only a single contact?
The nikon version looks like this:

http://images.okazje.info.pl/p/fotografia/4566/voigtlander-nokton-58mm-f-1-4-sl-ii.jpg
08-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
RJR

Original Poster
Thank you Blackcloudbrew!

The same thing to me! The first thing I've noticed was the SLII in the box and the SL in the lens!
Then I found strange the "pin" thing as the nikon version is plenty of them (maybe they werent' connected).
Anyway, with your feeedback now I'm more confident about it
08-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Their site states that the Nikon version has an integrated CPU, which, I suggest, would explain the extra contacts. No idea what the CPU is for, and why the Nikon version needs it

EDIT '...lenses are available in Nikon Ai-S and Pentax KA mounts, but unlike their predecessors, the new Ai-S variants also have embedded CPU controllers that provide metering compatibility with modern digital SLRs.'

'...the Nikon variant of the lens has an embedded CPU that provides matrix metering when used on modern Nikon digital SLRs.'

Now I know.

08-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The Nikon F mount works differently from the Pentax P-KA mount.
To have the equivalent of an 'A' lens, the lens for Nikon needs to be 'chipped'. With a CPU in the lens, it will act as an 'A' lens for Pentax.
Practically speaking, without the chip/cpu, you need to set the aperture on the lens. That way you are restricted to Aperture priority or Manual metering.
With the chip/cpu, you can set the aperture from the body and you get Program and Shutter priority as extra metering methods, just like an 'A' lens on Pentax.
Only difference is that the chip/cpu reports the focal length of the lens to the body as well. With an 'A' lens on Pentax, you still have to enter the focal length each time manually.

And to be clear, neither the Voigtl鋘ders nor the Zeiss lenses in P-KA mount were chipped.
08-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
RJR

Original Poster
Thank you JohnX,

My mistake was reading the site specification "Mount: AI-S, CPU integrated / Pentax K" as if Pentax version also had the integrated CPU!
Then I found odd why nikon version has many contacts and the Pentax only a single one.

That explains a lot indeed!
Then no great difference from SL to SLII for Pentax mount...
Again thank you!
08-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
RJR

Original Poster
Many thanks for the explanation BART,

Indeed I can set the aperture from the body of my K-7.
And as you explained also I still have to enter the focal length. Another question is: Which value should I choose? The 55 mm value that is the nearest to the 58 mm of the lens?
08-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RJR Quote
Thank you Blackcloudbrew!

The same thing to me! The first thing I've noticed was the SLII in the box and the SL in the lens!
Then I found strange the "pin" thing as the nikon version is plenty of them (maybe they werent' connected).
Anyway, with your feeedback now I'm more confident about it
It's probably easier to change the print on the box than it is to change the engraving programs on the lens. Just a guess. Mine says SL as well and I couldn't tell you what the box says.

Yes, just pick the closest one for the FL. I use 60mm because I also have 55mm lenses and don't want the two confused.

08-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
...Yes, just pick the closest one for the FL...
+1 that is what the manual suggests

(but I think the options go from 55 to 65 on the K7)
08-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
Dan

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
The main difference between SL 1 and SL 2 is the chip that allow correct metering with the DSLR Nikon and Pentax.
This is incorrect. It only applies to Nikon. There is no "chip" in any of the Pentax Voigtlanders. Both the SL1 and SL2 variants are essentially A-series lenses. The A-series lenses have electrical contacts on the lens mount. The pattern of these contacts provides information to the camera body. Here is an explanation of the KA mount:

Features and Operation of the Ka Mount

Both the SL1 and SL2 Voigtlanders contain these electrical contacts and function as A-series lenses. The SL1 and SL2 variants provide exactly the same functionality on a Pentax body.

Well, I suppose I should mention that there is one exception to this rule. The contacts on at least some of the SL1 90mm lenses were done incorrectly, which throws off the metering. But this is easy to fix. Using the information on contact patterns provided on the web page linked above, one can change the contact pattern and fix the problem. I did this with my SL1 90mm. All of the other SL1 lenses have the correct pattern.

The confusion over this issue has to do with the fact that there was a big change to the Nikon mount with the SL2 lenses. This, combined with a poorly worded press release and a basic ignorance of the Pentax mount has caused much confusion.

To summarize, there is no difference in the metering of the SL1 and SL2 lenses on Pentax bodies, with exception of some of the 90mm lenses.

I hope this helps.

Dan
08-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
+1 that is what the manual suggests

(but I think the options go from 55 to 65 on the K7)
That shows how much I've used this lens. It may very well be 65mm on the K5 as well and that's what I would choose, for the reason stated (so not to confuse them in EXIF).